Cluster rendering

11-13-2019 09:11 AM
JeanPIERRON
New Contributor

Hi,

I was wondering if the cluster rendering feature was still on your roadmap, and if there had been any development ?

Bests,

Jean

0 Kudos
8 Replies
RexHansen
Esri Contributor

Hi Jean, 

Support for feature and graphic clustering is in our backlog, but not currently scheduled for a release.  Can you describe the clustering experience/scenario you'd like us to support?  

Thanks

-Rex

0 Kudos
JeanPIERRON
New Contributor

Hi Rex,

Thank you for your answer.

This a very old subject that i have been looking up to.

We have an Android application displaying interlocutors on a map. There can be many (over 1k in Paris only).

This app is running on the version 10.2.9 of the ArcGIS runtime for Android, and we have implemented our own clustering mecanism grouping those interlocutors in single graphics (clusters) which display the number of interlocutor in said cluster (see below what it looks like).

We plan to migrate the application to the last version of ArcGIS runtime which means we'll have to redevelop every functionality using the version 10.2.9 as the version 100.x is not backward compatible.

So, as this functionality was initially planned to be released in late 2017, i'm just checking if there has been any evolution regarding this. Last i checked, the answer i was given was "Sometime in 2019".

Bests

overviewclose upcluster detail

0 Kudos
RexHansen
Esri Contributor

Thanks Jean,   

Apologies, support for clustering is taking longer than expected, however, we do plan to deliver in 2020.  To provide consistent support across the ArcGIS platform, we intend to target support for clustering (client) and binning (server) with respect to feature layers.   

Client side clustering will follow a map centric approach: 

Binning will focus on a service centric approach, more specifically, binning as a new functionality delivered with map services published from ArcGIS Pro 2.4 and later to ArcGIS Enterprise 10.7.1:

Incidentally, you should see support for clustering/binning coming in ArcGIS API for JavaScript 4.x in 2020 as well.  We are on a similar timeline with respect to this feature.  

Hope this helps, 

-Rex

JeanPIERRON
New Contributor

Hi Rex,

Thank you for your last answer.

It did help for other matters we were looking into.

We are starting to play with it with ArcGIS Online.

As i understand from your reply, clustering is to be bound to a feature layer.

Also, you do not mention the ArcGIS runtime.

I the case i exposed you, we are using data fetched from a local database (not a geodatabase), and populating a graphic layer with said data.

Any chance clustering will be usable in the ArcGIS runtime (for Android in our case) with graphic layers as well ?

Also, do you have any news about the clustering functionality's roadmap ?

Regards,

Jean

0 Kudos
JeanPIERRON
New Contributor

Hi Rex Hansen,

Hope you're doing well and safe.

Any update regarding clustering support for ArcGIS runtime ?

Bests,

Jean

0 Kudos
JeanPIERRON
New Contributor

Hi @RexHansen 

It has been more than a year since your last feedback.

Was wondering if there is any update regarding clustering support for ArcGIS runtime ?

Bests,

Jean

0 Kudos
MAYUR2812
New Contributor II

Hi Rex,

We are too looking for this functionality (clustering) in ArcGIS Runtime API for Android.

Any leads on this would be helpful.

Thanks,

Mayur

0 Kudos
RexHansen
Esri Contributor

@JeanPIERRON  @MAYUR2812   
Apologies for the delay on this topic.   Unfortunately support for feature clustering in ArcGIS Runtime SDKs has been delayed.  We currently plan to introduce in 2023.    Granted, it will be introduced in the new 200.x set of releases.   A couple links of interest:  

ArcGIS Runtime plans for 2022 and beyond; this discusses the next major release of ArcGIS Runtime, 200.x: https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/runtime-sdk/announcements/arcgis-runtime-in-2022-and-beyon...  

Introducing the ArcGIS Maps SDKs; this discusses how ArcGIS Runtime SDKs have been renamed ArcGIS Maps SDKs.  What's import here is feature clustering will be introduced in the ArcGIS Maps SDKs for Native Apps (previous known as ArcGIS Runtime SDKs) during the 200.x set of releases:  https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/developers/announcements/introducing-the-arcgis-maps-sdks/   

So, as an Android developer, you should expect to see support for feature clustering in a 200.x release of the ArcGIS Maps SDK for Kotlin in 2023.   

0 Kudos