ArcGIS libraries size

07-16-2013 11:29 PM
xxxxxx4
New Contributor
As far as I know ArcGIS needs Android native library support, so it adds 'libruntimecore_java.so' to 'libs/armeabi/' and 'libs/armeabi-v7a', however each file is 10MB... so the application we are developing weights 20MB+ due to ArcGIS.

Is there any way to reduce application size?

Thanks
0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanO_Neill
Occasional Contributor III
Currently we ship with all native code in a single *.so file.  You don't necessarily have to include both the /armeabi and /armeabi-v7a folders with both lib files.  Depends on what devices you are deploying to and supporting.  armeabi will work on all devices but will be a lot slower and won't take advantage of newer devices CPU capabilities.  The package manager will only install the libraries from one of the libs/<abi>/ directory, depending on your device.  So you can reduce the size by removing one of the libs/<abi>/ directories.
0 Kudos
xxxxxx4
New Contributor
So the right way to proceed is to leave both files so ArcGIS runs faster on new devices.

However what I was trying to reduce is the installed app size (not the .apk size) and it seems it's not possible.

My installed app weights 8MB and once I add ArcGIS support it weights 28MB, which it's actually quite much for many smartphones.
0 Kudos