APK size still big after reducing

Jump to solution
11-04-2021 07:47 AM
jsebrech
New Contributor

Hi

I followed the instructions for reducing the APK size as listed here by enabling splitting (build.gradle attached):

https://developers.arcgis.com/android/license-and-deployment/reducing-your-apk-size/

When I do a build with just arm64 included I still end up with an APK of of 75.9 MB and a download size of 31.8 MB, which is significantly more than the numbers mentioned in that article. Is this the expected size for the latest version of the runtime SDK, or is there something misconfigured in my build?

Ideally I would like to add no more than 10 MB in download size for the maps feature of our app. Is this possible using the ArcGIS Runtime SDK?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GuntherHeppner
Esri Contributor

Yes, if you enable splitting and only include arm64-v8a, the APK and download size you are getting is as expected. The fact that these sizes are bigger than what is stated in the referenced blog post is due to the fact that we have added a lot of new features to the SDK since release 100.5.0, which the blog post is based on. I don't think you will be able to reduce the download footprint further with the current runtime SDK. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
GuntherHeppner
Esri Contributor

Yes, if you enable splitting and only include arm64-v8a, the APK and download size you are getting is as expected. The fact that these sizes are bigger than what is stated in the referenced blog post is due to the fact that we have added a lot of new features to the SDK since release 100.5.0, which the blog post is based on. I don't think you will be able to reduce the download footprint further with the current runtime SDK. 

0 Kudos
jsebrech
New Contributor

Thank you for this feedback. As we only have a need to display maps and not edit them I hope at some point there will be an alternative Runtime SDK with a lighter footprint specifically for that purpose. I have also looked at the mapbox SDK and it adds only 5 MB in download size, but of course it has a smaller feature set.

flipcore
New Contributor

can someone plz tell us what is the recommended size of the android apk when we upload the pic on our blog. that is my web. and I upload the maximum pic on my blog related to the blog. thansk

0 Kudos