Roads & Highways - Unretire route in RCE

12-11-2019 12:27 PM
JosephMonti
New Contributor II

I have identified a route that was accidentally retired (along with all of its events) that I want to unretire in RCE.  I know that I can bring up the RCE attribute tables for this route (and its events) by adjusting the view date to one day before everything was retired.  For the events, it appears that I can just remove the retire date in their respective RCE attribute tables to unretire them, but the system will not let me do this for the route itself.  Does anyone have suggestions for how I can also remove the retire date in the RCE attribute for the actual route?RCE Attribute Table for Route

6 Replies
NicoleHanson1
Occasional Contributor

Joseph- I had this happen to me as well. What I had to do was fix it all in desktop, not RCE.

Nicole

0 Kudos
AmitHazra
Esri Contributor

Hello Joseph,

Assuming you are using ArcGIS Desktop 10.5.1 or later there is a COTS-based workflow to bring your routes back from retirement. This workflow assumes you want/need to preserve all timeslices for the route in question and that you may have custom/intermediate calibration points. The process is simpler if you are reloading a route using geometric length or do not have intermediate calibration.

1. For the route in question, clear the TVD (temporal view date) for the network and calibration point feature classes.
  2. Select the route and calibration features for all time slices of the route in question.
  3. Export those route and calibration point feature classes to a file geodatabase.
  4. In the exported route and calibration point feature classes, carefully edit the To Dates for the records you retired back to <null>.
  5. Using the Roads and Highways Load Routes tool, use the edited route feature class to reload the route in question.
  6. Once the routes are loaded, you'll be prompted to choose a calibration method.
    1. If you have no custom/intermediate calibration you could simply choose from the source route measures or geometric length.
    2. If you have custom/intermediate then it does not matter what you choose as you'll need to apply an additional workflow to bring that calibration back.
  7. Optionally, choose to remove centerline duplication at the end of the calibration process
  8. Prior to opening an ArcMap Edit session, open the Roads and Highways Advanced Editing options and check the option to "not apply event behaviors to manual calibration point changes".
  9. Add the exported and edited calibration point feature class to the map.
  10. With the TVD still cleared, open an edit session and select all the calibration points for the route in question. Delete those points.
  11. Select and copy/paste the exported calibration points for the route in question into the R&H calibration point feature class. Apply edits and save/close your edit session.

Be sure your events’ temporal dates match the routes as you wish. You may also wish to test this workflow in a version or file GDB export to be sure it yields the results you desire.

-Amit@esri
Roads and Highways team

RyanKoschatzky
Occasional Contributor III

@Amit, does a generate events need to be run afterwards? 

@Joseph, does the route that needs to be unretired have any coroutes?

We are in the process of doing a load routes to fix incorrectly loaded routes from 2016 (v10.3) those routes had coroutes. At that time we had issues with coroutes so to fix that issue we are planning on loading all routes that overlap and any routes that overlap those routes in what we term "spider web effect".  We discovered in a previous system that while routes are separate, they are connected and with out chasing down all the strands you usually ran in problems with those downstream routes some time later.  

0 Kudos
RyanKoschatzky

@Joseph, after running the centerline duplication step, I would recommend checking the centerline fc for lasted edited records you touched to see if it is localized to your route. Running that process this morning, centerline duplication ran on the whole state and updated more records then intended.   

0 Kudos
RyanKoschatzky

Nathan Easley‌, Amit Hazra

Can you guys explain why running remove centerline duplication as part of load routes and not running remove centerline duplication as part of load route but running remove centerline duplication tool separate gives you different results?

Is there a workflow to run remove centerline duplication only on the routes loaded and not the entire centerline FC or State in our case?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
NathanEasley
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Ryan,

There shouldn't be a difference in results when running the tool in these two contexts as the same Remove Duplicate Centerline Geometry operation is being executed in each case.  Unfortunately in ArcMap there isn't a way to choose the centerline features/area/selection set to run the tool against.  In ArcGIS Pro, we've made this tool a geoprocessing tool which allows for selection sets and a greater level of control over which features the tool runs against.

Nathan

Esri Roads and Highways team