Find Routes going in Same Direction

10-29-2020 09:25 AM
anayoung
New Contributor III

Hello,

We have a route network within a Roads and Highways database where we need to identify concurrent routes going in the same measure direction; these concurrent routes are direction 1 and direction 2 of the same road. We cannot use the digitized direction or vertices to determine route directionality because the digitized direction of our centerlines are not necessarily going the same direction as the routes.

How can we find these types concurrent routes so we can flip one of them? 

Thanks,

Ana

2 Replies
AmitHazra
Esri Contributor

Hello Ana -

May I suggest having a look at the Location Referencing Tools Calculate Route Concurrencies GP. This tool will output the concurrent sections and measures for concurrent routes. As an example:

Calculate Route Concurrency Output

Route 1 and Route 2 are concurrent but their measures increase in opposite directions. The output of CRC indicates this by flipping the From and To Measures. However, Route 3 and Route 4 run the same direction for their concurrency and so the measures are the same. I believe in your question you are looking for the concurrencies like what I've highlighted in the image. Once you've identified those sections, I suggest running Make Route Event Layer GP from the Linear Referencing tools to visualize the exact positions of these concurrent sections so you can then use the Roads and Highways Reverse Route tool to "flip" one of your concurrent routes. 

Hope that gives you some initial "direction" to your issue 🙂

-amit@esri

Esri LRS Transportation Team

anayoung
New Contributor III

Thanks, Amit! We'll give it a shot and let you know what we find. I figured I might be partially answering my question by asking about concurrent routes. 

Ana

0 Kudos