Select to view content in your preferred language

Using Definition Queries in ArcGIS Pro with LRS layers

Jump to solution
08-17-2022 03:59 PM
GraemeBrowning_Aurizon
Occasional Contributor II

I've recently moved from prototyping an LRS Dataset and Line Network in a File Geodatabase using ArcGIS Pro 3.0.1 to migrating the same data to ArcGIS Enterprise 11.

While the LRS layers used data sources in the File Geodatabase I found it helpful to apply a Definition Query of:

ToDate IS NULL

to them so that only current features were present.

I'm now becoming more aware of Time awareness in Roads and Highways—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation and so I'm wondering whether it is a Roads and Highways best practice to avoid applying my definition query?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AmitHazra
Esri Contributor

Hello Graeme

I would encourage you to review our resource documentation describing the processes for preparing the LRS for editing and sharing as web layers. https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/production/roads-highways/share-as-web-layers.htm

On this page you will find the specific Location Referencing service Analyzer checks we do. Those checks include:

• ArcGIS Server 10.6 or later instances are supported.
  • If Version Management is enabled under Capabilities, all layers must be of the same registration type.
  • All data must belong to a branch workspace.
  • All data must be published from the default version.
  • The connected geodatabase user must be the owner of the data.
  • Definition queries must not be present.
  • All fields must be visible.

Once you've published your LR service and are using ArcGIS Pro to work through your data management activities you can set attribute-based definition queries on the feature layers in the map and you'll use the Time tools to visualize the vintage of the LRS you are working with in the map.

I see you've been active on the Transportation GeoNet and have been working your way through our Esri online training for Location Referencing. If you find that you would like a deeper dive technical enablement training curated specifically by Esri LRS subject matter experts please reach out to anyone on the Esri Transportation Practice and/or your Esri account management team. Thank you,

-amit@esri 
Esri Transportation LRS Team

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AmitHazra
Esri Contributor

Hello Graeme

I would encourage you to review our resource documentation describing the processes for preparing the LRS for editing and sharing as web layers. https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/production/roads-highways/share-as-web-layers.htm

On this page you will find the specific Location Referencing service Analyzer checks we do. Those checks include:

• ArcGIS Server 10.6 or later instances are supported.
  • If Version Management is enabled under Capabilities, all layers must be of the same registration type.
  • All data must belong to a branch workspace.
  • All data must be published from the default version.
  • The connected geodatabase user must be the owner of the data.
  • Definition queries must not be present.
  • All fields must be visible.

Once you've published your LR service and are using ArcGIS Pro to work through your data management activities you can set attribute-based definition queries on the feature layers in the map and you'll use the Time tools to visualize the vintage of the LRS you are working with in the map.

I see you've been active on the Transportation GeoNet and have been working your way through our Esri online training for Location Referencing. If you find that you would like a deeper dive technical enablement training curated specifically by Esri LRS subject matter experts please reach out to anyone on the Esri Transportation Practice and/or your Esri account management team. Thank you,

-amit@esri 
Esri Transportation LRS Team

GraemeBrowning_Aurizon
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks @AmitHazra

I had seen Share as web layers—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation and noticed the dot point that "Definition queries must not be present"  when publishing and that was partly what led me to ask my question above.

I think what you are saying is that it's fine but not necessary to use definition queries on the published services to see only current features because time tools provide an alternative, and usually preferred, way to do it.

0 Kudos