Roads & Highways and ArcGIS Collector

01-23-2020 10:46 AM
RonGalos2
New Contributor II

Has anyone found a way to update attribute information for an event from Roads & Highways using collector?  From my knowledge ESRI wants you to redline and update in the office but that's duplicating work and not something I am in support of.

FYI we're using version 10.6.1.

Thanks.

7 Replies
NicoleHanson1
Occasional Contributor

That's a wish.  I think a lot of us have been asking ESRI to support that.  Nathan Easley‌ has been bugged a bit about it!  At least I have been asking him.

RyanKoschatzky
Occasional Contributor III

Ron,

I would also post your question at Roads and Highways User Group (RHUG) , there might be someone else who has a different workflow to help.

0 Kudos
NathanEasley
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Ron,

Can you explain what you mean when you say attribute update?  Will you just update attributes about event data or will you also update LRS attributes like the measures?

I'd echo Ryan's suggestion from above and reach out to the RHUG group on GeoNet for any suggestions.

Nathan

Esri Roads and Highways Team

0 Kudos
RonGalos2
New Contributor II

No LRS attributes will be updates.  Only attributes about a single point event (Transit Stop) will be updated.

0 Kudos
NathanEasley
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Ron,

I don't think you'd need a redline for this scenario.  You could take a copy of the existing events out into the field and update the attributes.  You would need to reconcile your changes with the existing events when back in the office.

One other consideration is whether Conflict Prevention is being used.  If you're using Conflict Prevention, you would want to consider locking the routes where you'd be making event attribute changes to ensure the routes/measures of the events don't change while getting updated attributes in the field.

Nathan

Esri Roads and Highways team

0 Kudos
RonGalos2
New Contributor II

We do use conflict prevention (Locks) in event editor.  So in order to do this, what you're saying, is we would have to lock the routes that the events are on while the data is being updated in the field and thus no one would be able to edit the routes or the Transit Stop events until they are unlocked when the data is post and reconciled?

Would users still be able to edit other events along the locked routes while the data is being updated in the field?  I am just trying to make sure we're not hindering other users' work.

0 Kudos
RyanKoschatzky
Occasional Contributor III

Ron,

Depending on how your shop is setup, you could get just event route lock for just those routes the points you know your going to update is on. That should prevent the lrs routes from being modified underneath you and just those event records from being updated. All other routes in the system, all other events within Transit Stop not on those routes and any another events in the R&H can be modified even if on the same route. 

In case you didn't know, R&H has two types of locks, route locks and event locks. I couldn't find anything with a quick google search to explain the differences, so here is my stab at it. A route lock prevents all other users from modifying the route and all events on that route. An event lock prevents lrs editors from editing that route and only event editors from editing events on that route in that event table. This is the least intrusive of the lock types. 

Hope this helps

0 Kudos