Removing Derived Line Network from LRS Dataset

Jump to solution
12-07-2023 04:30 PM
GraemeBrowning_Aurizon
Occasional Contributor II

While developing a proof-of-concept LRS dataset (in a file geodatabase) with two Line Networks, the first one in it having a Derived Line Network I hit an ERROR 999999 that I suspected may have been triggered by the presence of that Derived Line Network.  To test that theory, I had to do a recreation of the first Line Network, not include the Derived Line Network and then include the second Line Network.  That enabled me to have my LRS dataset with two Line Networks.  Please treat the ERROR 999999 as an aside for now because I don't think I fully understand the circumstances that lead to it yet, but I think it may be the combination of using a file geodatabase for the proof-of-concept and the presence of the Derived Line Network.

What surprised me was that there seems to be no easy way to remove a Derived Line Network from an LRS dataset.  I expected that Remove LRS Entity (Location Referencing) would be the tool to use to do that but it could not. 

Is there any way to easily remove a Derived Line Network from an LRS dataset while leaving the Line Network that it is derived from in place?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NathanEasley
Esri Regular Contributor

The Delete Routes tool only works on non line and line networks (not derived).  I'd recommend exporting the routes in the line network to a scratch feature class, deleting all the routes in the line network (without checking any of the other options) which will also delete the derived network routes and centerline sequence records, remove the derived network via Remove LRS Entity tool, then reload the line network routes from the scratch feature class using Append Routes.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
NathanEasley
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Graeme,

The Remove LRS Entity GP tool should allow you to remove the Derived Network while keeping the Line Network it's associated with (you could also choose to delete the Line Network as well if you want).  When you select your LRS workspace and choose to remove an LRS Network, is it not giving you the Derived Network as one of the options to remove?

Nathan
ArcGIS Roads and Highways team

0 Kudos
GraemeBrowning_Aurizon

Hi Nathan

I just tested again and the error I get when I choose the Derived Line Network and try to remove it is:

ERROR 130185: You have chosen to remove LRS networks which have related centerline sequence records. Use the Delete Routes tool to clean your network data from the LRS, and then proceed.

Failed to execute (RemoveLRSEntity).

The procedure I used for my test was:

1. Copy/paste the LRS Dataset (which has a Line Network and a Derived Line Network based on it) from an ArcGIS Enterprise 11.0 geodatabase into a new file geodatabase using ArcGIS Pro 3.1.3.  I'm mindful that this may be introducing a version incompatibility but that's something that we'll only be able to reconcile soon.
  2. Open Remove LRS Entity tool in the Geoprocessing pane
  3. Set the LRS Workspace, LRS Entity Type and choose the Derived Line Network from the LRS Entity Name pick list.

GraemeBrowning_Aurizon_0-1702250392950.png

I'm hoping to test this in an Enterprise Geodatabase, and in an ArcGIS Enterprise 11.2 / ArcGIS Pro 3.2 configuration soon.

Re-reading the error message above I wondered whether I might need to try and use Delete Routes on the Derived Line Network before using Remove LRS Entity but I was blocked when I tried to do that too:

GraemeBrowning_Aurizon_1-1702254211947.png

0 Kudos
NathanEasley
Esri Regular Contributor

The Delete Routes tool only works on non line and line networks (not derived).  I'd recommend exporting the routes in the line network to a scratch feature class, deleting all the routes in the line network (without checking any of the other options) which will also delete the derived network routes and centerline sequence records, remove the derived network via Remove LRS Entity tool, then reload the line network routes from the scratch feature class using Append Routes.

GraemeBrowning_Aurizon

Using those extra instructions, I've now been able to use ArcGIS Pro 3.2 to remove the Derived Line Network from the LRS Dataset in my file geodatabase.  However, I encountered a few hurdles along the way, so I'll document the full procedure here in case anyone or I need it again in the future.

1. exporting the routes in the line network to a scratch feature class was done from the Catalog pane by right-clicking on the Line Network to access Export > Feature Class To Feature Class
  2. deleting all the routes in the line network (without checking any of the other options) was done by adding it to the Map and using Select All on the layer before dropping it into the Delete Routes tool.  That is assumed to have deleted the derived network routes and centerline sequence records,
  3. removing the derived network via Remove LRS Entity tool did not delete the Derived Line Network but after running the tool I was able to right-click on it in the Catalog pane and Delete it.
  4. reloading the line network routes from the scratch feature class using Append Routes encountered a few errors that I needed to address before it was able to complete.
  5. Append Routes errored and reported that one of the edit tracking fields was not writable.  I closed ArcGIS Pro and re-opened it, and that resolved whatever lock was being encountered.
  6. Append Routes errored and reported "Line orders must be divisible by 100 and cannot skip increments of 100".  I found that mine were all divisible by 100 but about a dozen of them had an increment skipped.  I think those skipped increments were something that my original load introduced but I was able to correct them today using Select Layer By Attributes to isolate them for Calculate Field to address.
  7. Append Routes errored and reported "Line orders of the input routes, or their respective time slices, do not incrementally increase while validating".  I found that in four short lines the LineOrder did not match the digitized direction (which I originally used to set them) but I was able to correct them today using Select Layer By Attributes to isolate them for Calculate Field.
  8. Append Routes gave an error that suggested one of my dozen Attribute Rules had upset it so I disabled all of them.
  9. Once Append Routes completed successfully, I re-enabled all my Attribute Rules.
  10. Generate Routes to read measures from the Calibration Points and apply them to the routes
0 Kudos