Location Referencing tab of Roads and Highways missing from Ribbon

Jump to solution
08-14-2022 05:54 PM
GraemeBrowning_Aurizon
Occasional Contributor II

I have been happily using an ArcGIS Pro 3.0.0 Project to edit routes in an LRS Dataset and Line Network stored in a File Geodatabase.

I have now migrated that LRS Dataset and Line Network into an Enterprise Geodatabase (SQL Server) using the instructions at Migrate an LRS from a file geodatabase to a multiuser geodatabase—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation and all seemed to go smoothly.

I've inserted a new Map into the same Project and added the LRS Dataset, Line Network and their supporting tables into that Map from the Enterprise Geodatabase.

Now I'm trying to follow the instructions to Prepare the LRS for editing.

I'm skipping the instructions in Set the time view for LRS data—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation because step 6 of Share as web layers—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation says that I can "enable time for all LRS layers in a map at once" so I instead I go to Set the time view for LRS data in a group—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation where step 2 says "On the Location Referencing tab, in the Tools group, click the Enable Time button".

Is there a reason why the Location Referencing tab is not available to me in this Map?

If I insert a new Map into the same Project and add the File Geodatabase data to it then that Map has the Location Referencing tab available so it does not seem to be a licensing issue.

As an attempted workaround I went back to the Map with the RS Dataset and Line Network stored in the Enterprise Geodatabase, and added the LRS Line Network in the File Geodatabase to it.  That enabled the Location Referencing tab, and I was able to click the Enable Time button, but that only enabled time on the theLRS Line Network in the File Geodatabase and time was not enabled on the network or calibration point layers in the Enterprise Geodatabase (I had no event layers).

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GraemeBrowning_Aurizon

@AyanPalit It looks like the problem was that I copy/pasted from the file geodatabase with the connection properties using Operating system authentication when I should have used Database authentication.  Once I used the latter I was able to see the LRS Hierarchy (and to publish web layers and then to capture a new route by editing in a version via feature services).

- Graeme

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@GraemeBrowning_Aurizon Assuming you are at ArcGIS Pro 2.9 or higher and using a supported RDBMS. The difference seems to be between your LRS in fGDB vs Enterprise GDB. Do you see the LRS hierarchy through Pro Catalog connection to the Enterprise GDB and validate the properties of the Line network? If not, most likely the file GDB to enterprise copy was not complete or objects got corrupt. You should also explicitly check that the Location Referencing license is available.     

Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri
0 Kudos
GraemeBrowning_Aurizon

Thanks for responding @AyanPalit 

I've added to my question that I'm using ArcGIS Pro 3.0.1 and ArcGIS Enterprise 11 is on SQL Server.

I can see all the expected feature classes, tables and the LRS Hierarchy in the Enterprise Geodatabase but when I open the LRS Hierarchy that says that "The Location Referencing dataset was not found."

I suspect that must be the problem.

I'll try doing the copy again and check the LRS Hierarchy straight after doing so.

I definitely have access to the Location Referencing license because I can see it on the Licensing tab of the Project Page.  I assume the one license unlocks my access to both the ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Enterprise functions.

- Graeme

0 Kudos
GraemeBrowning_Aurizon

@AyanPalit After very carefully running through the workflow to migrate my LRS Dataset and Line Network (which was  created using ArcGIS Pro 3.0.1) from a File Geodatabase to ArcGIS Enterprise 11 on SQL Server, and checking whether its LRS Hierarchy was OK, I am still getting that "The Location Referencing dataset was not found."

GraemeBrowning_Aurizon_0-1660609215822.png

This has become a showstopper for me at the moment.

0 Kudos
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@GraemeBrowning_Aurizon If you are following the steps properly to migrate from fGDB to SQL Server, the Location Referencing dataset should get established. I am aware of a strict security policy at one client that would prevent the proper copy to SQL Server. In that case, the SQL DBA had to temporarily disable the policy, reload the full GDB, verify LRS and then reinstate the  security policy. I can only guess that there is likely an underlying RDBMS issue blocking the copy with the Location Referencing controller dataset. Check with your DBAs, security admins and log an Esri Tech Support case.

Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri
0 Kudos
GraemeBrowning_Aurizon

@AyanPalit It looks like the problem was that I copy/pasted from the file geodatabase with the connection properties using Operating system authentication when I should have used Database authentication.  Once I used the latter I was able to see the LRS Hierarchy (and to publish web layers and then to capture a new route by editing in a version via feature services).

- Graeme

0 Kudos