Invalid line name attribute. The line name must match the existing line name associated with the route name.

Jump to solution
10-29-2023 11:10 PM
GraemeBrowning_Aurizon
Occasional Contributor II

We are using ArcGIS Pro 3.1.3 with ArcGIS Enterprise 11.0 and are aware that we should be using ArcGIS Enterprise 11.1 to which we hope soon to be upgraded.

We have an LRS Line with 263 Routes and the business has asked for the last 62 of those to have their LineName (and each RouteName which starts with the LineName) changed.  

The Rename Route tool does not work for us and we think it is because we are using ArcGIS Pro 3.1.3 with ArcGIS Enterprise 11.0.

The data originally looked like this

RouteNameLineName
BW-03ML_0202KMBW-03ML
BW-03ML_0203KMBW-03ML
BW-03ML_0204KMBW-03ML
+59 more rows 

I've just returned from a 3 week vacation and the same data now looks like:

RouteNameLineName
NC-09ML_0202KMNC-09ML
NC-09ML_0203KMBW-03ML
NC-09ML_0204KMBW-03ML
+59 more rows 

I don't yet know how the first row was correctly changed to the desired new route and line names but all of the remaining rows have the correct new route name with the old line name.  I think the technique used was to Retire Route and Create Route each one.

To correct the second and subsequent rows so that they would look like this:

RouteNameLineName
NC-09ML_0202KMNC-09ML
NC-09ML_0203KMNC-09ML
NC-09ML_0204KMNC-09ML
+59 more rows 

I successfully retired the second route but when I tried to use its centerline to Create Route I got an error of “Invalid line name attribute. The line name must match the existing line name associated with the route name.”:

GraemeBrowning_Aurizon_0-1698645528377.png

It seems to be saying that once a route name of NC-09ML_0203KM has been associated with a line name of BW-03ML then that route name cannot become associated with a different line name (and we need it to be part of NC-09ML).

Is there any way that this software limit can be worked around without resorting to an unload of the current LRS to a polyline feature class in a file geodatabase, fixing its values there, deleting the LRS from the Enterprise Geodatabase and then reloading it from the file geodatabase?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@GraemeBrowning_Aurizon The main requirement here is to rename Lines and Routes.

At ArcGIS Pro 3.1, this is possible through: Rename Route tool Note: When a route or a line is renamed using rename tool, all related records are changed across all time slices.

In earlier versions:

• Rename of Line is not supported
  • Rename of Route supported through Reassign Route Note: When a route  is renamed using reassign, all related records are time sliced and the history of the name change is preserved. 

The error reported during Retire+Create is expected as Retire operation preserves the history and sees the conflict at the Create step.  You are already thinking in these terms - my comments are just a confirmation.

If the Rename Route tool cannot be used, the only supported workflow is as you stated (with minor changes as below):

1. export the affected routes and related records from Enterprise Geodatabase to file geodatabase
  2. fix Linename / Routename values in file geodatabase
  3. delete affected routes from the Enterprise Geodatabase
  4. reload from the file geodatabase
Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@GraemeBrowning_Aurizon The main requirement here is to rename Lines and Routes.

At ArcGIS Pro 3.1, this is possible through: Rename Route tool Note: When a route or a line is renamed using rename tool, all related records are changed across all time slices.

In earlier versions:

• Rename of Line is not supported
  • Rename of Route supported through Reassign Route Note: When a route  is renamed using reassign, all related records are time sliced and the history of the name change is preserved. 

The error reported during Retire+Create is expected as Retire operation preserves the history and sees the conflict at the Create step.  You are already thinking in these terms - my comments are just a confirmation.

If the Rename Route tool cannot be used, the only supported workflow is as you stated (with minor changes as below):

1. export the affected routes and related records from Enterprise Geodatabase to file geodatabase
  2. fix Linename / Routename values in file geodatabase
  3. delete affected routes from the Enterprise Geodatabase
  4. reload from the file geodatabase
Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri