Creating points at hatch intervals along LRS routes

Jump to solution
12-21-2022 09:58 PM
GraemeBrowning_Aurizon
Occasional Contributor II

In the picture below I show one LRS route with hatch markers and text at 100m intervals.  The start measure for the route is 154m and the end measure is 548m so I see text at the hatches for 200, 300, 400 and 500m.

GraemeBrowning_Aurizon_0-1671687422349.png

I want to be able to create point features at those hatch locations.  If I use the Generate Points Along Lines (Data Management) tool with these parameters:

arcpy.management.GeneratePointsAlongLines(input_LRS_network, output_points, "DISTANCE", "100 Meters", None, None)

I get points located as below which makes sense because there is no parameter that lets me specify that I only want points at the round number interval measures. 

GraemeBrowning_Aurizon_1-1671687734920.png

To workaround this software limit I could create a route feature class from the LRS route (polyline feature class) and use its start and end measure field values to write an event table with four rows for the four points that need to be created.  Then I could use Make Route Event Layer (Linear Referencing) and export those point events as point features.

However, that seems to be a circuitous way to do something that I thought would be simpler.

Is that the only way to achieve the desired result I've described above?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

Given the use-case, I believe the mentioned steps would produce the desired results. I agree the process could be simpler if, Generate Points Along Lines (Data Management) had an option to use a Table with attributes for Distance or Percentage. But then, it would be similar to using Event table and make Route Events. Feel free to post an enhancement idea that would best meet the requirements.    

Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

Given the use-case, I believe the mentioned steps would produce the desired results. I agree the process could be simpler if, Generate Points Along Lines (Data Management) had an option to use a Table with attributes for Distance or Percentage. But then, it would be similar to using Event table and make Route Events. Feel free to post an enhancement idea that would best meet the requirements.    

Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri
GraemeBrowning_Aurizon
Occasional Contributor II

I just wrote up an ArcGIS Pro Idea as Enhance Generate Points Along Lines to support measure interval (and first/last point measures) and in the new year I plan to write the workaround tool that I describe.  It's not the same as using a table like you suggested but I think it is a more streamlined way to enhance that tool.