Select to view content in your preferred language

Copying LRS between Enterprise Geodatabase instances

Jump to solution
10-11-2022 11:11 PM
GraemeBrowning_Aurizon
Occasional Contributor II

I have been happily using the instructions at Migrate an LRS from a file geodatabase to a multiuser geodatabase—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation to migrate/refresh my LRS from a file geodatabase to the DEV environment of an Enterprise Geodatabase.

The PROD environment of the Enterprise Geodatabase has not been available because its upgrade to ArcGIS Enterprise 11 is only now about to be done.

I'm planning to do an identical file geodatabase to PROD environment migration, after refreshing the DEV environment to practice the necessary steps.

Committing to all new editing of the LRS being done in the PROD environment is not yet imminent but it is not far off.  At that point I plan to have done my last full migration from a file geodatabase to an Enterprise Geodatabase, although I will keep the workflow ready in case I ever need to do a bulk load of new tracks which would be useful after an acquisition (as an example).

Once the R&H LRS in the PROD environment becomes the master dataset, I want to be able to refresh the DEV environment with a copy of it for any training/testing purposes that arise.

I'm anticipating that this should just be a matter of using ArcGIS Pro to:

1. Delete the LRS dataset, tables and domains from the DEV environment
  2. Copy/paste the LRS dataset from PROD to DEV which I think should bring the LRS tables, domains and indexes with it
  3. Share the latest DEV data as feature services by overwriting the existing web layers

If anyone has done this and found it to be more difficult than that, can you let me know your experience of attempting that workflow?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@GraemeBrowning_Aurizon A database backup and restore process can also be used. This option is best handled by a DBA.

If using the copy/paste method, just QC/verify all the objects moved over correctly. Add branch versioning to your steps, assuming all edits are performed in versions.

Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@GraemeBrowning_Aurizon A database backup and restore process can also be used. This option is best handled by a DBA.

If using the copy/paste method, just QC/verify all the objects moved over correctly. Add branch versioning to your steps, assuming all edits are performed in versions.

Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri
0 Kudos
GraemeBrowning_Aurizon
Occasional Contributor II

I had a chance to test this today and it was as easy as @AyanPalit said it would be:

1. Delete the LRS dataset, tables and domains from the DEV environment
  2. Copy/paste the LRS dataset from PROD to DEV which I think should bring the LRS tables, domains and indexes with it and check that the objects looked like they should
  3. Add branch versioning to the two tables (GIS_DBA.Lrs_Centerline_Sequence and GIS_DBA.Lrs_Edit_Log) and the LRS feature dataset
  4. Share the latest DEV data as feature services (which I did by deleting the existing web layers and then re-sharing them)
0 Kudos