Choose route from map says Route does not exist on selected Network layer when it does

Jump to solution
11-27-2022 10:33 PM
GraemeBrowning_Aurizon
Occasional Contributor II

I am using ArcGIS Pro 3.0.2 to edit events in an LRS Line Network stored in ArcGIS Enterprise 11 for the first time.  The LRS Hierarchy is pictured below:

GraemeBrowning_Aurizon_3-1669616683772.png

I click the Add > Point Event button on the Location Referencing tab of the Ribbon to open the Add Point Event tool in the Location Referencing pane.

GraemeBrowning_Aurizon_2-1669616584373.png

I click Next to go to its second page where I use the Choose route from map button to try to read the name of route BW-03ML_0087KM by pointing at it.  However, that gives me an error of Route does not exist on the selected Network layer.

GraemeBrowning_Aurizon_1-1669616548276.png

I know it exists because I can type the value of BW-03ML_0087KM into the Route Name field and have it accepted without a problem.

GraemeBrowning_Aurizon_0-1669616483553.png

Although, I am able to easily read the route name from my map and type it in as a workaround, I am wondering whether anybody else has seen this error when trying to use the Choose route from map button?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GraemeBrowning_Aurizon

Further investigation of this has led me to believe that the error comes not from a corrupt ArcGIS Pro project but instead from either a corrupt layerfile (which contains the Line Network, Calibration Point, Centerline and 8 chainage layers from feature services on the DEV portal) or from the technique I'm using to interact with that layerfile (which I suspect is not corrupt) when editing.  I think it's the layer files I'm adding to a map rather than the original ArcGIS Pro project that's the problem because when I use them in the new project I can introduce the same error.

The "chainage layers" I mention above need some explanation.  They come in two flavours.  Both flavours use the Line Network as their ultimate source but are designed to display markers and text hatches at intervals of 1m, 5m, 10m, 50m, 100m, 500m, 1km and 10km with scale dependencies built into both the General tab of their layer properties and the Arcade expressions that govern whether/what text is displayed.

The two flavours are:

• For editing in ArcGIS Pro the sources of the layers are feature service feature classes i.e. enterprise geodatabase feature classes published as feature services
  • For web maps the sources of the layers are the enterprise geodatabase feature classes direct i.e. enterprise geodatabase feature classes published as a map image layer

I need to have these chainage layers in the map to help the ArcGIS Pro route/event editors see the measures where they are editing.  This seems to have worked quite well although something that has bothered me is that when I'm editing routes I have the 8 chainage layers and the actual Line Network all pointing at the same data source (i.e. the Line Network).  Consequently, when the Create Route,  etc tools are used the first choice which needs to be made is which of those 9 networks needs to be used.  I tell the editors to choose the Line Network rather than one of the chainage layers but that whichever they choose probably does not matter.

It is only when I've started to edit events in ArcGIS Pro that the 9 layers based on feature services to the same Line Network feature class in the enterprise geodatabase seem to be confusing the Location Referencing software, and leading to the error above.

Rather than spend more time investigating what nuance may be causing the error, what I found seems to work for event (and route) editing in ArcGIS Pro is:

• base the Line Network, Calibration Point, Centerline and Event layers on feature services
  • base the chainage layers on the enterprise geodatabase Line Network feature class direct

The bonus of doing the above is that the chainage layers are no longer included as choices for the Line Network I want to use with the Location Referencing toolbar tools.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@GraemeBrowning_Aurizon Suggest the following troubleshooting steps:

• Pro based event editing works against the Feature service. Confirm that the LRS Network and Events added are from the service.
  • Map Properties spatial reference should be set same as the service. 
  • QC the route using Identify Route - confirm that the pop-up is showing measures as expected.
  • If issue is specific to a single route; try re-creating the route using Create Route.
  • Create a new Pro project and re-test; sometimes project settings get corrupt.

Hope this helps!

Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri
GraemeBrowning_Aurizon

Those are all excellent ideas for what I should check:

• W.r.t. "Pro based event editing works against the Feature service. Confirm that the LRS Network and Events added are from the service.", the List By Data Source view of the Contents pane shows that all layers in the map are coming from data in our DEV geodatabase via services from our DEV portal.  The Event Layer field on the Add Point Event tool shows LrsE_Electrical_Masts (DEV Portal) which supports that coming from the right source, and even though the Network field simply shows Lrs_CQCN_TRACK_LR rather than its layer name of Lrs_CQCN_TRACK_LR (DEV Portal) the former is the only option on that field, and the name of the underlying enterprise geodatabase feature class.  In any event, that Network works fine when I type in the Route Name.
  • W.r.t. "Map Properties spatial reference should be set same as the service.", it turned out that I had a spatial reference of "GDA2020" on the service but "Geocentric Datum of Australia 1994" on the map.  However, changing the spatial reference of the map to "GDA2020" did not resolve the problem.
  • W.r.t. "QC the route using Identify Route - confirm that the pop-up is showing measures as expected.", I can confirm that Identify Routes is showing the expected routes and measures
  • W.r.t. "If issue is specific to a single route; try re-creating the route using Create Route.", it seems to happen with every route.
  • W.r.t.. "Create a new Pro project and re-test; sometimes project settings get corrupt.":

I created a new project using the Map template and just dragged the Line Network, Calibration Point, Centerline and Event feature services into it.  I checked the spatial reference had been automatically set to GDA2020 (matching the service and opened the Add Point Event tool.  When I tried the Choose route from map button the Route Name and Measure fields were populated with the values that I expected.  Consequently, it looks like the ArcGIS Pro project that I was using to edit originally must have become corrupted.

Your suggestions helped a lot!

0 Kudos
GraemeBrowning_Aurizon

Further investigation of this has led me to believe that the error comes not from a corrupt ArcGIS Pro project but instead from either a corrupt layerfile (which contains the Line Network, Calibration Point, Centerline and 8 chainage layers from feature services on the DEV portal) or from the technique I'm using to interact with that layerfile (which I suspect is not corrupt) when editing.  I think it's the layer files I'm adding to a map rather than the original ArcGIS Pro project that's the problem because when I use them in the new project I can introduce the same error.

The "chainage layers" I mention above need some explanation.  They come in two flavours.  Both flavours use the Line Network as their ultimate source but are designed to display markers and text hatches at intervals of 1m, 5m, 10m, 50m, 100m, 500m, 1km and 10km with scale dependencies built into both the General tab of their layer properties and the Arcade expressions that govern whether/what text is displayed.

The two flavours are:

• For editing in ArcGIS Pro the sources of the layers are feature service feature classes i.e. enterprise geodatabase feature classes published as feature services
  • For web maps the sources of the layers are the enterprise geodatabase feature classes direct i.e. enterprise geodatabase feature classes published as a map image layer

I need to have these chainage layers in the map to help the ArcGIS Pro route/event editors see the measures where they are editing.  This seems to have worked quite well although something that has bothered me is that when I'm editing routes I have the 8 chainage layers and the actual Line Network all pointing at the same data source (i.e. the Line Network).  Consequently, when the Create Route,  etc tools are used the first choice which needs to be made is which of those 9 networks needs to be used.  I tell the editors to choose the Line Network rather than one of the chainage layers but that whichever they choose probably does not matter.

It is only when I've started to edit events in ArcGIS Pro that the 9 layers based on feature services to the same Line Network feature class in the enterprise geodatabase seem to be confusing the Location Referencing software, and leading to the error above.

Rather than spend more time investigating what nuance may be causing the error, what I found seems to work for event (and route) editing in ArcGIS Pro is:

• base the Line Network, Calibration Point, Centerline and Event layers on feature services
  • base the chainage layers on the enterprise geodatabase Line Network feature class direct

The bonus of doing the above is that the chainage layers are no longer included as choices for the Line Network I want to use with the Location Referencing toolbar tools.

0 Kudos