R&H - Concurrent Route Event omission from from Gap checks

12-10-2015 01:09 PM
JohnFormby
New Contributor II
ALDOT has many On-System Concurrent Routes. Managing events on those routes are difficult.

As QC for events on ALL routes the "Check Events on Route" tool is used to check for gaps, overlaps and invalid measures and returned to employees as a work flow. Focusing on gaps with this idea I would like to have the ability for the RCE to remove gaps returned due to events being on the subordinate route.

The following shows ALDOT's State Route system checked for gaps for one event, F_System (Highway Functional Classification). This returned 446 gaps. A CSV is created from the results and put into workflow. The issue is that a very low percent of these are actual gaps on the dominate route. The editor must investigate each gap though to ensure it is on a subordinate route. It is very time comsuming and costly in man hours. It is counterproductive and erodes efficiency.

0EME0000000kE4d
The return is much larger when ALDOT's State Route system is checked for gaps on full extent events. The results (3789 records) are more realistic to the work load.

2 Comments
DarrylSpears
By adding a simple filter, you eliminate several items that must be verified. Looks like an awesome idea to me.
RyanBlum2

Agree with the filter comment.  I think it is important to retain the current functionality and extend it by giving the user the ability to decide whether or not their gap analysis should take into account possible concurrent route data.