Using featureOffset to return more than 5000 records from standard_geography_query

Jump to solution
08-02-2022 02:51 PM
DanielOhrenstein
New Contributor

Hi all,

I am trying to use standard_geography_query to return subgeographies of a country layer (e.g. the communes of a French region). There are 5121 such objects, however standard_geography_query returns maximum 5,000 results. I was therefore trying to use featureOffset to paginate the results as mentioned in the reference. However, on my second loop when I set featureOffset=5,000 (to skip over the results I already have), I get the following error:

Feature offset (5000) must be less than maximum feature limit (5000).

Why is it I cannot use featureOffset to access >5000 results in multiple iterations? Is this the expected behaviour?

Many thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanielStauning
Esri Contributor

Hi Daniel,

I don't think pagination will help here. The 5,000 Limit is a service limitation that cannot be overridden by using pagination. 

There is a geography level in between regions and communes (departmentes), for example with the Esri France dataset. 

https://geoenrich.arcgis.com/arcgis/rest/services/World/geoenrichmentserver/Geoenrichment/StandardGe...

You could perhaps list the departements in a region first and then the communes in each departement. Also, this 5,000 feature limit deserves to be reevaluated and possibly raised in an upcoming release.  

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanielStauning
Esri Contributor

Hi Daniel,

I don't think pagination will help here. The 5,000 Limit is a service limitation that cannot be overridden by using pagination. 

There is a geography level in between regions and communes (departmentes), for example with the Esri France dataset. 

https://geoenrich.arcgis.com/arcgis/rest/services/World/geoenrichmentserver/Geoenrichment/StandardGe...

You could perhaps list the departements in a region first and then the communes in each departement. Also, this 5,000 feature limit deserves to be reevaluated and possibly raised in an upcoming release.