Schema for parameter from nested model

03-03-2011 07:07 AM
MarkWoolley
New Contributor
Sharing a discovery:
ArcGIS Server 9.31.

Two models, one nested inside the other, the main model published as a geoprocessing service.

A parameter for a point to be provided by the user defined in the nested model with a layer/schema. That same parameter is exposed as a parameter in the main model and passed in to the nested model.

The geoprocessing service worked fine when used from a Web ADF application created using the wizard within ArcGIS Server Manager. The REST view of the task showed the schema information that was defined in the nested model. A REST submitJob would not work until the layer/schema was also attached to the parameter in the main model. The REST view of the task did not change at all after the additional setting of the Feature Set layer in the outer model.

Has anybody come across documentation or best practices for nesting models?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
RaviNarayanan
Esri Contributor
A REST submitJob would not work until the layer/schema was also attached to the parameter in the main model.

This behavior might be related to this bug fixed in 10.0
NIM045046: For geoprocessing services, Execute Task or Submit Job fails with error "invalid value for input" if the input features do not have a defined schema.

The REST view of the task did not change at all after the additional setting of the Feature Set layer in the outer model.

Please verify if the REST cache was cleared after updating the GP task/service
0 Kudos
MarkWoolley
New Contributor
Please verify if the REST cache was cleared after updating the GP task/service

I knew about the REST cache and had cleared it. The REST view looked good before I found the solution. And it looked good (identical) after, however, after the fix, it worked.

There were no error messages reported. One of the tools (Generate Near Table) in the model just didn't give the expect answer until I added layer/schema.

Could well be related to NIM045046 although REST showed the parameter had a schema and "invalid value for input" did not occur. It might provide an interesting additional test case for Esri.
0 Kudos