REST services reported as 'starting' in Server Manger but are not available

08-22-2012 06:56 AM
BradGeerdes
New Contributor
I am running ArcGIS Server 9.3 on a Windows Server 2007 (64-bit) VM. I've created some services that don't seem to fully start. The Server Manager shows them as 'Starting' with 'Instances (In use/Running)' as 1/1.

I've tried restarting the ArcServerObjectManager and ArcSOCMonitor processes and even restarted the VM. I've also killed the individual ArcSOC.exe processes. All to no avail.

I've run with these services (or similar ones) for a couple of years without much problem. In the past couple of months I've seen the performance degrade dramatically - they would run fine for a while then drop off significantly. Now, just starting them is a problem.

Some more information, these services are primarily for routing using Network Analyst. The VM has a 4-core processor with 4GB of memory. The errors I see in the logs are mostly "MapServer can not be started" and "MapServer can not be stopped".

Any help would be appreciated.

Bill
0 Kudos
1 Reply
BradGeerdes
New Contributor
Update...the services seem to be starting and stopping fine now. I am not sure what happened - maybe our VM is an issue.

However, I am still having issues with service performance. I have two services doing the same thing (routing over the same network) and when one of them degrades in performance I switch to the other. That seems to work but it is very cumbersome. Is there any reason why routing performance would go from sub-second response to minutes?

Bill
0 Kudos