Image Service Identify Not Obeying Transformations

01-11-2011 04:52 PM
RyanCoodey
Occasional Contributor III
We have a NAD_83 mosaic dataset that points to a NAD_27 raster catalog.  This mosaic dataset is served up as an Image Service on ArcGIS Server 10 SP1.  The mosaic has a transformation set to NAD_27_To_NAD_83_NADCON and also defined is NAD_27_To_WGS_84_79_CONUS which we need if going to WGS_84 but I don't think it is really needed here. 

Anyway, visually in our Silverlight maps the image is displayed using the correct transformation, but when using the identify operation, it does not use it... The map is in WGS_84, so the geometry being passed to the identify operation is also WGS_84.

Is this a bug that the identify is not using the transformation? Or maybe something I am doing wrong?  It is clearly returning results like it is processing on NAD_27 data, because it is off by about 300 feet, which is what I expect with no transformation... If it was treated as NAD_83, it would only be off by less than a foot (which would be acceptable).

Thanks a lot for any info!
0 Kudos
2 Replies
WenxueJu
Esri Contributor
Thanks for providing your detailed workflow. This is a bug --- identify operation does not use datum transformation --- in ArcGIS 10.0 (NIM066821) and will be fixed in next release.
Getting correct identify results in 10.0 requires altering the workflow to project source rasters to the designated coordinate system (applies datum transformation in this process) and add the new rasters to mosaic dataset.
0 Kudos
RyanCoodey
Occasional Contributor III
Wenxue,

Thanks a lot for looking into this issue!!!

I have converted our rasters in the dataset to a different coordinate system to solve for now.  Thanks!
0 Kudos