ClipAndZip returns esriJobFailed

05-19-2011 11:36 AM
BanuskiBanuski
New Contributor
I need to consume a simple ClipAndZip GP service, but it fails immediately with an esriJobFailed. Furthermore, the example ClipAndZip service, found here:
http://help.arcgis.com/en/webapi/javascript/arcgis/demos/gp/gp_clipasync.html
is failing the same way. ClipAndZip was working correctly a week or two ago on both the arcgis.com  server and the one I'm using. Does this have anything to do with the service pack that was just released? Does anyone have any idea of how to get around this?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
ArokiyaJoseph
New Contributor III
Are you trying to create your own ClipAnd Ship service or are you using the one on SampleServer.

If you are creating your own service, here's a ArcGIS Server help doc that explains how to create your own clip and ship service.

The SampleServer service is mangled a bit and we'll fix it as soon as possible. My apologies for the inconvenience.

Couple more questions:

Are you publishing the map document with a tool layer?
Does the tool run successfully on Arcmap?
0 Kudos
CathyWalker
New Contributor
I have been able to get the example Clip and Ship service running on my server but get an error after I run the tool through the Data Extract widget that says that the job does not exist or is inaccessible (see attached photo). Am I missing something with the location of the output for the zip folder that results when a job is ran, or is there a permissions issue with accessing the folder from the widget that I have missed? Does the output workspace that is set in the model to %scratchworkspace%\output.zip need to be changed to be able to download the resulting zip folder with the data in it.

Thanks,
Cathy

Are you trying to create your own ClipAnd Ship service or are you using the one on SampleServer. 

If you are creating your own service, here's a   ArcGIS Server help doc that explains how to create your own clip and ship service. 

The SampleServer service is mangled a bit and we'll fix it as soon as possible. My apologies for the inconvenience. 

Couple more questions: 

0 Kudos
MellissaLasslo
New Contributor III

If you are creating your own service, here's a ArcGIS Server help doc that explains how to create your own clip and ship service.

Couple more questions:

Did you figure this out? If so, what did you have to do to get it working?
0 Kudos
ArokiyaJoseph
New Contributor III
Melissa,

In asynchronous gp tasks, when a client(in your case flex app) submits a request with input parameters, the server validates the input parameters.
If the parameters are valid, server creates a jobid, starts execution of the tool and sends the client the jobid.

Using the jobid, the client makes subsequent request for the status of the job.
When the job status is 'esrijobcompleted', the client downloads the results(output parameters) from the server.

From your error message, it sounds like the task is progressing but fails half-way through..

Here's some suggestions to troubleshoot failed gp services.

1. Using ArcGIS Manager or ArcGIS Desktop, turn on Show Messages option for your geoprocessing service.
2. Run your gp task from flexviewer application. Note down the job id.
3. In your server machine, go to arcgisjobs directory. (C:\arcgisserver\arcgisjobs, if you have installed server with default location ).
4. Look for the folder with you gp service name and underneath it, you will find a folder with job id.
5. The geoprocessing task writes all outputs and messages to this directory.
6. Find messages.dat file. All geoprocessing tool messages will be written in it and it will help you troubleshoot further.
7. Look into the scratch folder. If the tool has succeeded, you will find a zip file.

Hope this helps...
0 Kudos
AYounas
New Contributor III
Hi All,

I am using DataExtract widget with my own geoprocessing service. It is creating zip folder with data but when it comes to the stage where I can download it, as soon as I press save, it crashed and don't save anything and an error window comes up showing the message below:

Error #2044: Unhandled IOErrorEvent:. text=Error #2038: File I/O Error.
 at widgets.DataExtract::DataExtractWidget/downloadFile()
 at widgets.DataExtract::DataExtractWidget/alert_ClickHandler()
 at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEventFunction()
 at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEvent()
 at mx.core::UIComponent/dispatchEvent()
 at mx.controls.alertClasses::AlertForm/removeAlert()
 at mx.controls.alertClasses::AlertForm/clickHandler()

I'd appreciate any help in this regard, please!

Thanks,

Adi
0 Kudos
JanetRogers
Occasional Contributor II

I am having exactly the same problem,  Did anyone in this thread manage to come up with a solution?

Janet

0 Kudos