accented letters not recognized by GeocodeService

10-03-2011 01:16 AM
mihkelhaav
New Contributor
I'm trying to create an address locator to use in an ArcGIS viewer for Flex application. I end up with a locator that does not support accented letters like ö, ä, ü, õ. Doesn't matter wheter I use the service via the Flex application or just query via browser - the locator is unable to process these accents.

I have tried with the feature class in a gdb and shapefile, locator in a gdb and in a folder, setting the gdb-s and locators configuration keywords to DEFAULTS (which is UTF-8),  installed ArcGIS 10 SP2 (Desktop, Server) Fullwidth Unicode Characters and Conversion Patch both for my PC and Server. Both are running v10 SP2. Still no luck... 😞

Has anybody a clue what might be the problem?

Thanks in advance,

Mihkel
0 Kudos
13 Replies
RaviNarayanan
Esri Contributor
The URLEncoding property is set only for the <connector> port 8080 in \Tomcat6.0\conf\server.xml and this has to be UTF-8.

Mihkel, Did you try without the URIEncoding property set for the tomcat on port 8080? My previous post assumed the service was accessed via port 8399.
0 Kudos
mihkelhaav
New Contributor
Mihkel, Did you try without the URIEncoding property set for the tomcat on port 8080? My previous post assumed the service was accessed via port 8399.

Ravi, in our case the URLEncoding property for the <connector> port 8080 has to be UTF-8 because we have other REST services on the same webserver separate from ArcGIS services that require UTF-8.
0 Kudos
RaviNarayanan
Esri Contributor
Mihkel,

Most likely the setting of URIEncoding to UTF-8 is causing this behavior. if you can isolate the one of the REST services to use to use a different instance of tomcat, you might be able to identify if it works as expected.

Ravi
0 Kudos
EzequiasRodrigues_da_Rocha
New Contributor III
Mihkel,

Most likely the setting of URIEncoding to UTF-8 is causing this behavior. if you can isolate the one of the REST services to use to use a different instance of tomcat, you might be able to identify if it works as expected.

Ravi

Strange, becouse i have experienced the same problem but locally (in some machines but not in other) using DataExtractorWidget (for Flex 3.6).

Does anyone knows why this happens?

Regards
Ezequias Rocha
0 Kudos