Writing to hosted feature layer views with QuickCapture

Jump to solution
02-25-2020 03:13 PM
MarcGraham2
Occasional Contributor III

Hi there,

We have deployed the following:

• A hosted feature layer to hold QuickCapture (QC) features (HFL)
  • A hosted feature layer view (HFLV) of the above that is consumed via a QC project 

1. When I write directly to the HFL from QC I successfully get points with attached images from the camera.
  2. However when we write to the HFLV from QC we get points but no attachments.

In Server Manager we get the following error:

SEVEREFeb 26, 2020, 10:37:39 AMWrong attachment definition syntax.Rest

Now there is a complication - The QC points have an attribute called: secured_from_app with a default value of "Yes" in QC.  The HFLV has a Feature View Definition of secured_from_app does not equal "Yes".

The intent here is that we can have users writing to the GIS HFL with QuickCapture, but if they tried to query the service (they can only access the HFLV) they would not be able to retrieve any features.

For example - we have multiple different users working on sensitive sites, and we don't want them to see what each other are up to.  Aware that we could publish multiple services and configure multiple projects, but that is an admin overhead (plus potential user confusion) we are trying to avoid.

I have tested the HFLV with this View Definition turned off and the points have attachments.  When it is applied points are submitted but attachments are not.

My theory is QC writes the points to the HFL (via the HFLV) and then tries to add attachments, but because of the HFLV View Definition it cannot access the features to attach the images.  I dunno, just a guess.

Either way, I think there is a valid workflow for providing the app to users but wanting the actual submitted data to be secure, even from the people submitting it. 

Regards,

Marc

Johnathan Hasthorpe

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Marc -

This is a limitation of Portal. However, the recommended approach for hiding submitted data is to disable query on the feature service (or view).

To do this, go to item settings and do the following:

- Temporarily switch the 'What kind of editing is allowed?' setting to 'Add and update features'.

- Change the 'What features can editors edit' setting to 'Editors can edit all features'.

- Revert back to 'Add features' once 'What features can editors edit?' is set properly.

This what you should end up with:

User-added image

By doing the exact steps above, query and update will be disabled, but users will still be able to successfully submit features and attachments to the feature service (or view).

Thanks

John

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Marc

I was able to repro the issue on Portal 10.8 and will look into it for you.

I'll update this thread with more information.

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Marc -

This is a limitation of Portal. However, the recommended approach for hiding submitted data is to disable query on the feature service (or view).

To do this, go to item settings and do the following:

- Temporarily switch the 'What kind of editing is allowed?' setting to 'Add and update features'.

- Change the 'What features can editors edit' setting to 'Editors can edit all features'.

- Revert back to 'Add features' once 'What features can editors edit?' is set properly.

This what you should end up with:

User-added image

By doing the exact steps above, query and update will be disabled, but users will still be able to successfully submit features and attachments to the feature service (or view).

Thanks

John

MarcGraham2
Occasional Contributor III

Nice Thanks John.

0 Kudos