Does QuickCapture voice control work with aviation headsets?

11-03-2020 03:47 PM
AndrewPadilla
Occasional Contributor

Does anyone have experience using aviation headsets and voice control with QuickCatpure? 

I conduct aerial surveys for salmon and would like to be to use voice control with an aviation headset. I currently use an inline digital voice recorder to capture counts. Voice control works great with QuickCapture but when an external microphone is connected voice control only works through the device microphone. However, the text to speech can be heard in the earphones. I have attempted to get voice control to work with several headsets/headphones (oem iphone headphones, bluetooth headphones, and Bose A20 headset) and different devices (iPad Air 2nd gen, iphone 7 running iOS 14), with bluetooth and a headphone jack. This seems to be a limitation of the operating system (iOS), but I thought would see if others have had success pairing headsets to navigate QuickCapture buttons, with external microphones. Anyone?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
AndrewPadilla
Occasional Contributor

Hi Johnathan,

I was able to get access to an iPad to test voice control. However, as with the iPhone I was unsuccessful at using my voice to tab buttons. Again, the app asked for permission to access microphone, and I accepted.  I tested the same two bluetooth headsets, Bose A20 aviation headset and  JBL Tune600BT. Each were separately and successfully connect via Bluetooth. Neither worked with the microphone feature. I tried using the built in Voice Control and without, but neither worked. The earphones work, when a button is tapped I can hear it being read back to me, however, the microphone does not connect to Voice Control and allow me to use my voice to tap buttons. I tested this while in a separate room, but within Bluetooth range of the iPad. This helps verify whether the iPad is or is not picking up my voice through the microphone in the headset. Have you or your team had any success?  Thank you for the opportunity to test the feature.

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Andrew, 

For working apps like Teams. Can you check the iOS permissions that they have: Microphone? Bluetooth? Other? This can be found in iOS settings under each app.

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
AndrewPadilla
Occasional Contributor

Hi Johnathan,

Attached are some screen shots for each of the applications that function with bluetooth audio. Please let me know if you need any other information.  Thank you for continuing to look into this functionality.

Regards,

Andy

JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks Andrew - this is helpful. For teams can you test the headset with:

1) Microphone disabled

2) Bluetooth disabled.

Does this make any difference?

Thanks

John

0 Kudos