Magnetic Calculator model update for 2020

Jump to solution
12-16-2019 09:54 AM
JillSlater3
New Contributor III

We are using the magnetic calculator tool Magnetic Calculator—Help | ArcGIS Desktop for a requirement to include magnetic values on a map for a date in 2020. However, the Magnetic Calculator tool does not generate values for dates after 2019. From what I understand, the World Magnetic Model has a new version every 5 years, and a new version should be released now for 2020-2025. Is there an update of the Magnetic Calculator tool that will allow us to use a date in 2020? Or is there another way to generate these values with the updated version of the model?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Bo_King
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Jill

The WMM 2020 update is now available in 10.7.1 Patch 3 and an individual patch for Mapping and Charting Solutions versions 10.1 through 10.8.  The update will also be included in the pending Pro 2.5 release.

Mapping and Charting Solutions 10.7.1 Patch 3 (Desktop | Server)

Esri Support Esri Defense Mapping 10.7 (10.7.1) 

World Magnetic Model (WMM) coefficient 2020-2025

Happy Holidays!

Bo

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Bo_King

Hi Jill

Yes, software updates are pending.  We'll let you know as soon as they are available.  If you need the numbers in the meantime, you can try the Grid & Declination Calculators on the NOAA site... World Magnetic Model - Calculators Page 

esri defense mapping 
arcgis for aviation‌
esri production mapping‌  
arcgis for maritime charting  
#topographic mapping  
mapping and charting solutions‌
0 Kudos
JillSlater3
New Contributor III

Thanks Bo, yes please let me know when the update is ready. we'll look into the NOAA calculators in the meantime.

Jill

0 Kudos
Bo_King

Hi Jill

The WMM 2020 update is now available in 10.7.1 Patch 3 and an individual patch for Mapping and Charting Solutions versions 10.1 through 10.8.  The update will also be included in the pending Pro 2.5 release.

Mapping and Charting Solutions 10.7.1 Patch 3 (Desktop | Server)

Esri Support Esri Defense Mapping 10.7 (10.7.1) 

Happy Holidays!

Bo

Bo_King

Hi Jill

Just wanted to let you know that the WWM 2020 has a new update as of Jan 23, 2020.  Please download and install this patch at your earliest convenience.

Regards,

Bo

CiaraBeddy
New Contributor II

Bo King‌ do we need a separate patch update for ArcServer if we are running a geoprocessing service that creates a pdf and we want the output to include the magnetic north arrow? The link I can access is World Magnetic Model (WMM) coefficient 2020-2025  , which indicates desktop patch.

ArcMap and ArcServer both 10.5 , we have a tool that generates PDF output of our maps placing a lyr file into a dataframe and selecting a mxd template . This tool is published to arcserver as a geoprocessing service

The magnetic north arrow is not calculating on the template at the moment so assuming this is down to the patch requirement for 2020-2025 dates. Once I have this installed do I still have a separate requirement for an ArcServer update ? 

Any information would help as I'm still confused as to what is needed to get this working in an automated manner

Thanks

Ciara

0 Kudos
DanHopkins
Esri Contributor

Hi Ciara,

Esri does not have a separate patch update for ArcGIS Server. The MCS_WMMPatch_2020-2025.EXE updates the WMM.xml on your desktop machine with the latest coefficients. You will need to copy the updated WMM.xml from your desktop machine to your server machine. Please do the following:

1. Execute the MCS_WMMPatch_2020-2025.EXE on a machine running Mapping and Charting Solutions (MCS) 10.5 Desktop.

2. On the Desktop machine, using File Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\EsriProductionMapping\Desktop10.5\Bin. In the Bin folder you will see an xml file called WMM.xml. After the update, it should now have a date of 1/23/2020 with a File Size of 23KB. Make a copy of this file. You are going to copy this file to your machine running MCS 10.5 Server.

3. Before you copy, as a precaution, you might want to stop your service on your ArcGIS Server machine.

4. On the Server machine, using File Explorer, copy the updated WMM.xml to C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\EsriProductionMappingServer\Server10.5\Bin

5. Restart your service.

Sorry for the awkward solution.

Regards,

Dan 

0 Kudos
JillSlater3
New Contributor III

Thanks for your help Bo.