Can I add an expression to Dynamic Text?

09-18-2019 08:54 AM
SteveRhyne2
New Contributor III

I have a challenge I'm trying to figure out. Much of our different ArcMAP files are labeled F1_StudyArea.mxd, F2_RoadNetwork.mxd, etc. The "F1" represents the figure number in the report and the remaining name is the map title. I'd like to somehow use the dynamic text tool to read the F1_StudyArea.mxd file name and produce the following text in layout with specific formatting tags:

Figure 1

Study Area

The reason why I would like this function is the common figure number and title updates we go through. It would be easy to rename the mxd file and run a script to produce PDFs with updated figure numbers and names. Is this possible or pie in the sky?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Bo_King
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Steve

I'm not sure if you can parse the text from the document name.  However, you can add the figure and title to the map properties, and then create dynamic text based on the map properties.  For example, add the title to the Title property, and the figure number to the Credits property, then create the associated dynamic text.

<dyn type="document" property="credits"/>

<BOL><dyn type="document" property="title"/></BOL>

If the figure numbers or titles change, you can edit the Map Document Properties in ArcCatalog without having to open the MXD.  Hopefully this suits your workflow.

Working with dynamic text—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Cheers,

Bo

SteveRhyne2
New Contributor III

Good idea! I forgot you can modify the document properties in ArcCatalog. Thanks!

0 Kudos