Virtual feature Layer with feature Class only in memory

Jump to solution
11-19-2020 12:57 AM
Ulrich_Egger
New Contributor

I think about developing an AddOn for ArcGIS Pro.

I want to use the business logic of the core application of our company in the AddOn.

Our product loads all information from a database to memory at the beginning. During working on the data, the database is not connected. The Work is saved to database only when the user wants.

My question is whether it is possible to create feature layers in ArcGIS Pro without having a database / database connection but just by providing the information in memory.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RichRuh
Esri Regular Contributor

We're planning on adding this capability in a future release.

For now, your best bet is probably to use the file geodatabase specified by Project.Current.DefaultGeodatabasePath.

I hope this helps,

--Rich

View solution in original post

4 Replies
RichRuh
Esri Regular Contributor

We're planning on adding this capability in a future release.

For now, your best bet is probably to use the file geodatabase specified by Project.Current.DefaultGeodatabasePath.

I hope this helps,

--Rich

Ulrich_Egger
New Contributor

Thank you very much for your reply. It helped a lot, so I do not need to search for this functionality now.

Best regards,

Ulrich Egger

0 Kudos
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

@RichRuh 

Has there been any update on virtual/scratch/in memory data feature classes?

0 Kudos
RichRuh
Esri Regular Contributor

@KenBuja Yes. You can now use the Pro SDK to create a geodatabase in memory, and then create tables and feature classes within that geodatabase.  Details are here

You can create a layer from a memory feature class like any other. Just note that the memory feature class goes away when the Pro session ends- so if you save those layers into a APRX file, they will show as disconnected when reloading the project.