Use Pro as a server?

01-12-2021 09:54 PM
mody_buchbinder
Occasional Contributor III

The pro SDK is very strong and we like to use it as a server to do some jobs.

Unlike ArcObjects it does not run outside Pro (Except the geodatabase library).

The RunTime does not always give a solution plus we need to program with other libraries.

First, is this allowed by the license (for ArcObjects we needed a server license).

I am thinking about a few options.

1) Install a pro on the server that have an extension that check some files in a directory and process them. A window service will run the pro once in a while. Is it possible to close Pro from within the SDK (close myself)?

2) Running pro manually and press a button that run a timer or open a port for messages that will trigger the action and just keep it open.

Any ideas?

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
CharlesMacleod
Esri Regular Contributor

Mody,

The pattern to use is CoreHost - assuming you need access to the Geodatabase. It requires a Pro license and a Pro install on the server machine. Pro, itself, does not have to be running.

However, the application framework, maps, layouts, and so forth, are not accessible from CoreHost. If you need to access Pro project files and their content, the preferred pattern would be arcpy.

0 Kudos
KirkKuykendall1

Hi Charles -

Just to clarify - are you saying this is not a violation of license terms & conditions?

Thanks, Kirk

0 Kudos
CharlesMacleod
Esri Regular Contributor

Am I saying _what_ is not a violation? 

0 Kudos
KirkKuykendall1

IIRC, the arcmap license prohibited setting arcmap.exe up as a map server.  I thought I'd check with the Pro terms & conditions to see if same restriction applies.  However, the only way I see to do that is to re-install, and actually read the terms before clicking "agree".  (Seems like there ought to be an easier way to read what I agreed to when I installed.)

0 Kudos
CharlesMacleod
Esri Regular Contributor

I see. Thanks for that.

What I told Mody to do was run a console executable, not Pro. However, for that console executable to run, it will need Pro installed. The console executable will need two references - the ArcGIS.Core and ArcGIS.CoreHost dlls - hence the name "CoreHost".

mody_buchbinder

The Original questions comes from BUG-000136452 when import to PDF does not work the same with open Pro or stand alone python program. The CoreHost is basically covered by ArcPy. As I said there is still a "few" things that the SDK can do but not ArcPy that need to be done on a stand alone (or at least not interactive) program.

0 Kudos