Open lyr files with Pro by default

Jump to solution
10-09-2018 12:37 PM
HaroldBostic
Occasional Contributor II

Hello I'm storing .lyr files on a remote server for my users.  Some have both Desktop and Pro installed.

What can I do to make sure the Pro is used by default when I user double clicks the lyr file?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The point was, you can't. 

Breaking bad/alternate habits (a perspective issue) are hard to break.

Clicking on a file to open it requires setting windows file associations to select the program that opens that file with that extension.

This won't work since it is on a machine basis. Something which I don't do, since files like *.txt, *.csv, *.xls can be opened in multiple programs even though a default can be set.

People would have had to make that association with a *.lyr or a *.lyrx file for arcmap or ArcGIS pro to open.  The latter will only open in pro as you are aware.  

Perhaps breaking the habit of double-clicking might work.

The packages have uses beyond the layer itself, but the new file extensions (*.lpk, *.lpkx ) would require new associations with the appropriate software.... but sadly that would assume that people haven't made associations already with *.lpk files.  Maybe an email would be best

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

windows file associations won't work

So with redundancy 

Layer package—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop  for Pro

Package Layer—Help | ArcGIS Desktop  for Map

0 Kudos
HaroldBostic
Occasional Contributor II

Hello, thanks for the Articles and I have read through them, but neither appear to answer my question.  Would you mine highlighting the section(s) I am overlooking as part of your response?

Much appreciated.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The point was, you can't. 

Breaking bad/alternate habits (a perspective issue) are hard to break.

Clicking on a file to open it requires setting windows file associations to select the program that opens that file with that extension.

This won't work since it is on a machine basis. Something which I don't do, since files like *.txt, *.csv, *.xls can be opened in multiple programs even though a default can be set.

People would have had to make that association with a *.lyr or a *.lyrx file for arcmap or ArcGIS pro to open.  The latter will only open in pro as you are aware.  

Perhaps breaking the habit of double-clicking might work.

The packages have uses beyond the layer itself, but the new file extensions (*.lpk, *.lpkx ) would require new associations with the appropriate software.... but sadly that would assume that people haven't made associations already with *.lpk files.  Maybe an email would be best