Is there a way to setup access restrictions on an add-in that I developed?

Jump to solution
03-02-2021 06:03 AM
Amadeus111
Occasional Contributor II

I have developed  a set of add-ins. Our organization has different branches and divisions. I would like to share the add-ins with a group of people and some individuals maybe. Is there way to insert some kind of password for each user so they will enter the password to use the add-in

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GKmieliauskas
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi,

Look at the ArcGIS Pro samples:

https://github.com/Esri/arcgis-pro-sdk-community-samples/tree/master/Framework/Licensing 

You can build extension and authorize it by password. Add-ins could be enabled/disable by conditions and extension.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
GKmieliauskas
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi,

Look at the ArcGIS Pro samples:

https://github.com/Esri/arcgis-pro-sdk-community-samples/tree/master/Framework/Licensing 

You can build extension and authorize it by password. Add-ins could be enabled/disable by conditions and extension.

Amadeus111

@GKmieliauskas Thanks for the solution! I was able to apply the sample code to my add-in but now facing two problems. One, I need to provide unique product id for each user and that can not be used more than once. Two, I would like to implement an expiration date for the add-in. Do you know if there is an easy way to do these? 

0 Kudos
GKmieliauskas
Esri Regular Contributor

We use third party software key for generating id and checking for expiration date. Then we disable/enable extension on software key checking results.

0 Kudos
Amadeus111

@GKmieliauskas Do you mind sharing the software name and how it works? I was thinking of creating a list of alphanumeric strings and read/mark those from a live Google doc or something but your way is more robust, easier and less time consuming

0 Kudos
GKmieliauskas
Esri Regular Contributor

Sorry. It is a commercial software licensing product.

0 Kudos
Amadeus111

I got that it is commercial software but I don't understand why you wouldn't give its name. Thanks anyway I will check online if I can find something for our needs. 

0 Kudos
GKmieliauskas
Esri Regular Contributor

I have accepted Community Terms of Use. One of them is "no advertising"

0 Kudos
Amadeus111

I was not aware of that term. I think I can figure this out somehow. Thanks for your all help. 

0 Kudos
KirkKuykendall1
Occasional Contributor III

If your organization is running Active Directory, you might consider setting up a group for each AddIn.  You could then override the Module Initialize method so that it checks to see if the user is a member of respective group, and set a member variable _isAuthorized accordingly. 

The  components in the module could then check to see if module.IsAuthorized before enabling its functionality.