How to copy feature class to in memory geodatabase

Jump to solution
01-26-2022 10:40 AM
KarenMeinstein
Occasional Contributor

I'm trying to create an in-memory feature class, and I assume the way to do this is to first create an in-memory geodatabase and then copy the feature class to this geodatabase.  I'm able to create the geodatabase, but the copy operation fails.  Here is my code:

MemoryConnectionProperties memoryConnectionProperties = new MemoryConnectionProperties("MyMemoryGDB");

Geodatabase geodatabase = SchemaBuilder.CreateGeodatabase(memoryConnectionProperties);

var parameters = Geoprocessing.MakeValueArray(@"C:\Users\kbmeinstein\Desktop\DeformTest\50Ma_Pro_Deftest_model_save.gdb\DefMotion_50Ma", @"in_memory\MyMemoryGDB", "test");

IGPResult result = await Geoprocessing.ExecuteToolAsync("FeatureClassToFeatureClass_conversion", parameters, null, null, null, GPExecuteToolFlags.AddOutputsToMap);

Any suggestions how to get this to work would be greatly appreciated.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RichRuh
Esri Regular Contributor

I'm so sorry, Karen. I skipped over the geoprocessing call and didn't really pay attention to which tool you were trying to use.

I also specified "in_memory" which is incorrect.  It's possible that this did work, but "in_memory" feature classes cannot be displayed on a map, and if you attempt to do so, Pro copies the feature class to a file geodatabase.  (More information here)

Try using "memory" instead of "in_memory".  If this doesn't work, I'll bring in a geoprocessing expert.

--Rich

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RichRuh
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Karen,

Geoprocessing only knows how to work with a single memory geodatabase- the one called "memory".  You can execute your copy like this:

var parameters = Geoprocessing.MakeValueArray(@"C:\Users\kbmeinstein\Desktop\DeformTest\50Ma_Pro_Deftest_model_save.gdb\DefMotion_50Ma", @"in_memory\test");

IGPResult result = await Geoprocessing.ExecuteToolAsync("FeatureClassToFeatureClass_conversion", parameters, null, null, null, GPExecuteToolFlags.AddOutputsToMap);

If you later need to access this new table using the Pro SDK, you can do so with the following code:

MemoryConnectionProperties memoryConnectionProperties = new MemoryConnectionProperties();

Geodatabase geodatabase = SchemaBuilder.CreateGeodatabase(memoryConnectionProperties);
FeatureClass testFeatureClass = geodatabase.OpenDataset<FeatureClass>("test");

(In this instance, the CreateGeodatabase call doesn't really create a new geodatabase, but rather returns a connection to the existing memory geodatabase.)

I hope this helps,

--Rich

0 Kudos
KarenMeinstein
Occasional Contributor

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the help!  Unfortunately this didn't work.  I'm wondering if the FeatureClasstoFeatureClass parameters are correct.  According to the documentation (https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/conversion/feature-class-to-feature-class.ht...) there are 3 required parameters:  input features, output location and output name, while your code only has 2 parameters.

If I change the parameters to this:

var parameters = Geoprocessing.MakeValueArray(@"C:\Users\kbmeinstein\Desktop\DeformTest\50Ma_Pro_Deftest_model_save.gdb\DefMotion_50Ma", @"in_memory", "test");

The code works, but the feature class is copied to a file geodatabase called default.gdb instead to memory.

0 Kudos
RichRuh
Esri Regular Contributor

I'm so sorry, Karen. I skipped over the geoprocessing call and didn't really pay attention to which tool you were trying to use.

I also specified "in_memory" which is incorrect.  It's possible that this did work, but "in_memory" feature classes cannot be displayed on a map, and if you attempt to do so, Pro copies the feature class to a file geodatabase.  (More information here)

Try using "memory" instead of "in_memory".  If this doesn't work, I'll bring in a geoprocessing expert.

--Rich

0 Kudos
KarenMeinstein
Occasional Contributor

Yay!  That worked!  Thanks so much!

0 Kudos
KarenMeinstein
Occasional Contributor

Hi Again Rich,

When I try to access the in-memory feature class using this code:

MemoryConnectionProperties memoryConnectionProperties = new MemoryConnectionProperties();

It throws an error on the CreateGeodatabase line that says the workspace already exists.

0 Kudos
KarenMeinstein
Occasional Contributor

I think I found a solution to my previous question.  If I put these lines:

before the FeatureClasstoFeatureClass  geoprocessing stuff, then I can access the feature class after the geoprocessing is done using:

0 Kudos
RichRuh
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks for letting me know, Karen. We'll take a look at it- might be a bug. Glad you found a workaround at least.

--Rich

0 Kudos