Hello, I'm attempting to georeference a map in ArcGIS Pro using given latitude-longitude coordinates. Instructions given at: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/data/imagery/georeferencing-a-raster-entering-x-y-coordinates.htm indicate in step seven: "

Jump to solution
08-28-2019 03:13 PM
E_G_Boyce
New Contributor II

Hello, I'm attempting to georeference a map in ArcGIS Pro using given latitude-longitude coordinates. Instructions given at: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/data/imagery/georeferencing-a-raster-entering-x-y-coordinates.htm indicate in step seven: "In the Adjust group, click the Add Control Points tool to create control points. To add a control point, first click a location on the raster you are georeferencing (the source player), and then click the same location on the target layer in the map (the reference data). a) click a known location within the raster you are georeferencing (the source layer). b) right-click to bring up the Target Coordinates dialog box". It is here where my experience differs from the instructions. Prior to clicking the known location on my source map, the cursor appears as cross-hairs with the caption "From point (source)". After left clicking, the location is marked in red with dashed lines to the cross-haired cursor and the caption changes to "To point (target). At this point whether I right click within the source map (as I saw demonstrated in a video) or right-click in the target map, the Target Coordinates dialog box does not come up. Rather the cursor turns into a magnifying glass while the right mouse button is depressed otherwise nothing occurs unless I left click which moves my image if I click in the source map or adds a control point to my target map if I click there. My objective, of course, is to enter specific latitude and longitude coordinates but thus far I have not been successful in getting the Target Coordinates dialog box to appear. Please forgive the lengthiness of my question but I wanted to give as much detail as possible to perhaps enable you to see where I have erred. Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Okay, I just tried it. I clicked the from point location and then immediately right-clicked a target location. That opened up the Target Coordinates dialog. However, I'm running a 2.5 development version. 

Melita

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

I'm not sure I understand your steps, but when I read the help topic, I believe it says to click (left-click) the target point first, then right-click it to open the dialog box. I'm certainly done something similar when I've georeferenced data. Sometimes I quickly add the control point links, not even trying to be accurate, then edit the control point values in the table.

0 Kudos
E_G_Boyce
New Contributor II

Thank you Melita for your response. You are correct in that the instructions indicate to right-click to open the Target Coordinates dialog. That is precisely my problem. When I right-click, the Target Coordinates dialog does not appear. In fact, nothing occurs when I right-click other than the cursor changes to a magnifying glass, if I maintain the right mouse button depressed.

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Okay, I just tried it. I clicked the from point location and then immediately right-clicked a target location. That opened up the Target Coordinates dialog. However, I'm running a 2.5 development version. 

Melita

0 Kudos
E_G_Boyce
New Contributor II

Again, thank you for your reply. Where you said "I clicked the from point location and then IMMEDIATELY right clicked" is what made the difference. I previously watched a demonstration ( at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42wSjmqWeVo ) in which after left clicking the cursor was moved off the left-clicked position before right-clicking which is what I was attempting to do. When I right-click without moving the cursor, I do, in fact, get the Target Coordinates dialog. Thanks for your input!

MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Oh, good. I'm glad we were able to figure it out!

Melita

0 Kudos