GetLayersAsFlattenedList in VB

Jump to solution
05-21-2021 06:54 AM
BrianBulla
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I have the misfortune of having to convert an ArcMap AddIn to ArcGIS Pro code.  Normally this isn't a problem, but this one happens to be built in VB.  I'd like to copy/paste as much 'non-SDK' code as possible so I'd like to keep things in VB as opposed to converting it to my language of choice C#.

Can anyone help convert the following bit of code from C# to VB?  Even googling, I can't seem to figure this  out:

FeatureLayer currentLayer = map.GetLayersAsFlattenedList().OfType<FeatureLayer>().Where(l => l.Name.Equals(layerName, StringComparison.OrdinalIgnoreCase)).FirstOrDefault();

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BrianBulla

Thanks Kris,

After some more trial and error I finally got something that worked:

Dim fLayer As FeatureLayer = map.GetLayersAsFlattenedList().OfType(Of FeatureLayer)().Where(Function(l) l.Name.Equals(layerName, StringComparison.OrdinalIgnoreCase)).FirstOrDefault()

I hate VB!!  🙂

Thanks for responding and for the tips on VB convertors.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
KrisCulin
Occasional Contributor

There are free converters online for C# to VB.Net but I don't know how well they will work with Linq.

Here is what I came up with:

Dim layer as FeatureLayer = map.GetLayersAsFlattenedList().OfType(Of FeatureLayer)().Where(Function(layer) layer.Name = layerName).FirstOrDefault()

To figure out the lamda expression, I searched for "lambda vb.net".  You can also search for "linq vb.net" for some samples as well.

HTH.

Kris

BrianBulla

Thanks Kris,

After some more trial and error I finally got something that worked:

Dim fLayer As FeatureLayer = map.GetLayersAsFlattenedList().OfType(Of FeatureLayer)().Where(Function(l) l.Name.Equals(layerName, StringComparison.OrdinalIgnoreCase)).FirstOrDefault()

I hate VB!!  🙂

Thanks for responding and for the tips on VB convertors.

0 Kudos
KrisCulin
Occasional Contributor

My pleasure.

I wouldn't hate on VB.  Just be happy it's not VB6 and you have to convert from VB6 to VB.NET.

Keep in mind that a lot of features currently in C# may not be available in VB.NET.  That means you may have even more verbose code than you normally have with VB.NET.

If there is any way you can move to C#, I would do it.  Make the case hard to the powers that be.  "Technical debt" would be my biggest argument.  There are far fewer VB.NET developers out there than C#.  It may be "cheaper" now to stay in VB.NET but it will be far more expensive down the line.

Kris

BrianBulla

Thanks Kris.  Yes, after a couple of hours of frustration I have abandoned VB and will for a full re-write in C#.  As you said, probably better to do it ASAP.

Thanks!

0 Kudos