Deployment of an Addin in ArcGIS Pro

07-09-2017 12:13 AM
JanakiGattu1
New Contributor III

Dear Team,

Could you Please help me with some documentation and steps on how to Deployment of an Addin in ArcGIS Pro in the client machine.

Thanking you in advance.

13 Replies
JanakiGattu1
New Contributor III

Hello Kaiser,

I was able to solve that issue...As I have created a Pro Configured Module...I was able to get the Deployment by creating a shortcut.

My issue was I would like to Create a Setup or Windows Installer Package for my solution. So that the Client who is having ArcGIS Pro Installed on their machines should be able to use my addin after running the setup.

Example: XTools.....When you download XTools for ArcGIS Pro...They will give us a Windows Installer Package and when we run that Package addins will be installed to the respective folders and we will start working directly on the Tools.

This is how I would like to Package my solution.

0 Kudos
Wolf
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Ok I see what you're trying to do now.  In general the SDK distinguishes between add-ins and [managed] configurations, therefore we have also two different project templates for both options (one for add-ins and one for managed configurations). 

1. Add-ins will run with every instance of ArcGIS Pro that is started on a machine, as long as the add-in package has been copied into a location that is recognized by ArcGIS Pro's add-in manager and permissions allow the add-in to run.  Therefore many enterprise customers simply configure a shared network folder connection on all machines that is recognized by ArcGIS Pro's add-in manager.  Now you can simply copy the latest version of your add-in to that shared location and your users are automatically able to run your add-in.  If an add-in is distributed to the public then the ArcGIS Marketplace or ArcGIS Online can be used to distribute that add-in and the built-in ArcGIS Pro installer makes sure that the add-in is properly installed.  
  2. Configurations are a bit different from add-ins as they can only be run by either specifying the configuration name in a shortcut (using the /config command line parameter) or using the registry to force your configuration on ALL instances of running ArcGIS Pro.  You can read more about that here:  https://github.com/Esri/arcgis-pro-sdk/wiki/ProConcepts-Configurations#runtime

So yes if you like a give your users a 'turn-key' experience for a 'managed configuration' (option 2 above) then a setup or windows installer is needed to copy the configuration package, and then create a shortcut or define the required registry key. 

AndersBerg1
New Contributor II

I had a follow up question to this, I have developed an add in and it works fine on my machine. I am having trouble deploying it to a client machine. I have figured out how to change the version from 2.7 to 2.5 and the add installs successfully. However, the add in buttons grey out when they are clicked and so not respond. Is there a setting in the configuration/deployment that I am missing? or does the client machine need to have .net framework 4.8 installed?

0 Kudos
MikeDavlantes
New Contributor III

@AndersBerg1 Did you ever figure this out? I'm experiencing the same issue.

I suspect that the client machine does need the target .net framework installed, but I'm not sure about that.

EDIT: this gets answered in his followup question.

0 Kudos