Zoom in\out (window zooming) in ArcGIS Pro,

09-13-2015 12:29 AM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Zoom in\out (window zooming) in ArcGIS Pro,

I couldn’t figure out if an equivalent tools for Zoom in\out (that allows window zooming) are still available in the ArcGIS Pro.

Clip_513.jpg

Thank you

Best

Jamal

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
21 Replies
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

I meant “Window zoom” but not just zoom in\out. However, are these two tools are missed in ArcGIS Pro in purpose?

Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Jamal,

Because of the new ribbon design, there will not be one-to-one compatible buttons between Desktop and Pro.  Esri chose to go with the navigation button, and with the shortcuts on the page Dan Patterson​ pointed out, those are the options we current have access too.  You may be able to expand the window (sometimes widening the page will reveal more of the ribbon) or looking at the down arrow under Explore in the navigation panel (sorry, no access to Pro right now).

You are not the first to ask about the return of the navigation and zoom buttons.  Some things will not be able to be ported since Pro was built from the ground up for 64-bit, per user request for 64-bit (and the fact that Desktop had gone about as far as it could get with 64-bit).  They went with the ribbon design, and although I'm not a big fan, that is the format that they will be working with in Pro.  (That is also one of the reasons, for example, that adding a Python addin toolbar is not as easy as double-clicking the .addin file ...toolboxes are handled differently now).

To see what others have already asked about, and suggested as improvements, here is a connection to all the ideas others have submitted for improvements to Pro ... Look thru those (may give you answers to some of you pending questions on Pro) and vote for ones you would like to see, and submit new ideas if you find things that you would like to see in Pro.  http://links.esri.com/arcgis-pro-ideas

Also, another doc to look thru is the FAQ in the Pro help

Frequently asked questions—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thank you Rebecca,

I’m aware that ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Desktop are two different applications but here I’m comparing between their capabilities and why the end-user should lose some of awesome features when migrating to Pro.

With Pro, I’m totally lost as a number of important tools\behaviors\features are not available. Developers need to remember that are all coming from ArcGIS Desktop (in this case)! We will keep comparing any way!

Jamal Numan
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

It would be best if you mark your threads as discussions rather than questions, since for the most part, they deal with functionality differences and it is difficult to see whether you have read the associated help files for ArcGIS Pro.  In fact, I am still reading the help files, since I have only used Pro once...and I want to be ready and know what to expect when I use it more.

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Correct. But some of my questions have been already answered even with workarounds. I think we will be struggling using the Pro as it doesn’t have the same soul as the ArcGIS desktop.

Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

"Not the same soul"  -- no kidding, you have to really reset your brain to work in Pro. I keep right clicking of stuff and it gets me nowhere!  It's a new, new, new, user interface, no doubt about it.

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

I’m not against having totally new interface. My complaints are resulted from having less functionalities or some annoying behaviors.

Jamal Numan
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

The ribbon is actually pretty customizable.  You can put just about any tool anywhere even if it doesn't make sense to anyone but you.  And, of course, you  can always use add-ins.  I'm glad that the Pro team came up with a Rectangle zoom tool now.  I like the Explore tool but sometimes those fixed zoom levels don't work as well as the rectangle zoom tool.  Its good to have both options and also the ability to not have rectangle zoom on the ribbon if you don't want it as in Kory's case.

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City