XY Table to Point

Jump to solution
11-22-2021 05:16 PM
JulietHook
New Contributor II

I've created a feature layer using the Add Data > XY Point Data. I imported a table from excel containing latitudes and longitudes written as decimal degrees which plotted perfectly. However, I would like to add more XY Point Data to the Attribute Table. Every time I have either copy and pasted data or entered it manually I can see the data input in the table but it does not populate as a point on the map. I can even create a pop-up displaying the data but I can't flash or zoom to it so the point was never plotted.

Do I need to run a separate XY Point Data tool every time I want to add XY Point Data? Do I just join the tables at the end?  

Thank you for your advice!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JohannesLindner
MVP Frequent Contributor

Using the "Add Data -> XY Point Data" button starts the XY Table To Point tool. This tool takes your input table (Excel) and creates a new point feature class, using the X and Y values of the table.

This feature class is a normal feature class, meaning that you can't just input coordinates and expect the geometry to appear. You kinda have to do it the other way around:

Have a great day!
Johannes

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Excel To Table (Conversion)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

will enable you to create a table in a gdb.  You can add records (rows) to it BUT you will have to use 

XY Table To Point (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

to make it a featureclass.

All you will be doing is skipping the excel part, which isn't a bad idea in the first place

... sort of retired...
JohannesLindner
MVP Frequent Contributor

Using the "Add Data -> XY Point Data" button starts the XY Table To Point tool. This tool takes your input table (Excel) and creates a new point feature class, using the X and Y values of the table.

This feature class is a normal feature class, meaning that you can't just input coordinates and expect the geometry to appear. You kinda have to do it the other way around:

Have a great day!
Johannes
JulietHook
New Contributor II

Thank you for your help! I can see that everyone who responded had a different method to fix this issue but I noticed that your answer addresses using the table I already have made. I understand now that the tool isn't consistently updating with the table but only plotting the table when the tool first runs. 

Thank you to all who replied! I explored all of your options and its made me understand the functions of ArcGis much better.

0 Kudos
MervynLotter
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Juliet

For instances where I frequently update my coordinates in a table, I make use  of Event Layers (https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/data-management/make-xy-event-layer.htm).

Add your Excel or CSV table to Pro, run the Make XY Event Layer gp tool, then whenever you open up Pro, it will display all the coordinates of the data in the Excel table. You can edit the data in Excel while the table is open in Pro, but it will only update once Pro project reopens.