xy table to point doesn't work

Jump to solution
02-07-2020 10:42 AM
RichardMarountas
New Contributor

After running the most recent update (2.5) I've had a couple of issues, such as taking a long time to load and save.  The biggest problem seems to be that data I was able to plot with lat longs only yesterday.  Same table, same type of data, and I now get the error below:

Running script XY Table To Point...
Failed script XY Table To Point...
Traceback (most recent call last):   File "c:\program files\arcgis\pro\Resources\ArcToolbox\Scripts\XYTableToPoint.py", line 183, in <module>     xy_table_to_points(in_table, output_fc, x_field, y_field, z_field, coordinate_system)   File "c:\program files\arcgis\pro\Resources\ArcToolbox\Scripts\XYTableToPoint.py", line 120, in xy_table_to_points     table_empty = arcpy.management.CreateTable(r"memory", "table_empty_{}".format(ts), in_table)   File "c:\program files\arcgis\pro\Resources\arcpy\arcpy\management.py", line 19745, in CreateTable     raise e   File "c:\program files\arcgis\pro\Resources\arcpy\arcpy\management.py", line 19742, in CreateTable     retval = convertArcObjectToPythonObject(gp.CreateTable_management(*gp_fixargs((out_path, out_name, template, config_keyword), True)))   File "c:\program files\arcgis\pro\Resources\arcpy\arcpy\geoprocessing\_base.py", line 511, in <lambda>     return lambda *args: val(*gp_fixargs(args, True)) arcgisscripting.ExecuteError: Failed to execute. Parameters are not valid.ERROR 000732: Template Table Name: Dataset deaths$ does not exist or is not supported Failed to execute (CreateTable).
Failed to execute (XYTableToPoint).

Any help greatly appreciated.  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AmandaKochanek
New Contributor II

Richard, I had the same experience. I had a coworker who had not yet updated send me a copy of their file from: C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\Resources\ArcToolBox\Scripts\XYTableToPoint.py

It then worked again....

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

This should be asked in the ArcGIS Pro‌ space.

0 Kudos
AmandaKochanek
New Contributor II

Richard, I had the same experience. I had a coworker who had not yet updated send me a copy of their file from: C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\Resources\ArcToolBox\Scripts\XYTableToPoint.py

It then worked again....

0 Kudos
RichardMarountas
New Contributor

Thanks Amanda…that worked perfectly!

Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2020 3:36 PM

To: Richard Marountas <rmarountas@schd.org>

Subject: Re: - Re: xy table to point doesn't work

GeoNet, The Esri Community | GIS and Geospatial Professional Community

<https://community.esri.com/?et=watches.email.thread>

Re: xy table to point doesn't work

reply from Amanda Kochanek

<https://community.esri.com/people/kochanek?et=watches.email.thread> in *ArcGIS

Pro* - View the full discussion

<https://community.esri.com/message/908391-re-xy-table-to-point-doesnt-work?commentID=908391&et=watches.email.thread#comment-908391>

0 Kudos
DrewFlater
Esri Contributor

Hi Amanda Kochanek‌, since Richard cannot share his data due to confidentiality, I'm hoping you might be able to share the data where you experienced the failure with XY Table To Points, or perhaps follow the steps I gave Richard:

If you copy the header row PLUS the first data row into a new XLSX then use that as input, does the tool still fail? If so, can you replace the values with non-personally identifiable data and send that copy to us?

If this error is widespread we want to understand and fix the problem in a patch so users can take advantage of the new 2.5 version of the tool.

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Richard Marountas‌ and Amanda Kochanek‌ if you are able to share examples of tables that fail with the Pro 2.5 XY Table to Point tool, could you please send them to kkramer@esri.com?  There were changes made at 2.5, so if there are tables that will cause the tool to fail, we'd be very interested in investigating those.  Thank you in advance!

FYI Drew Flater

0 Kudos
RichardMarountas
New Contributor

Hi Kory,

Unfortunately the table contains person-level data and is confidential. I

was using a Microsoft Excel table, which I had not had any problems with

previously. I turned it into a dbase file because I was on a deadline,

which did work, but obviously wasn’t a long-term solution. Thankfully

Amanda Kochanek’s solution did work. Hope this helps…

Rich

Sent: Tuesday, February 18, 2020 9:08 AM

To: Richard Marountas <rmarountas@schd.org>

Subject: Re: - Re: xy table to point doesn't work

GeoNet, The Esri Community | GIS and Geospatial Professional Community

<https://community.esri.com/?et=watches.email.thread>

Re: xy table to point doesn't work

reply from Kory Kramer

<https://community.esri.com/people/KKramer-esristaff?et=watches.email.thread>

in ArcGIS Pro - View the full discussion

<https://community.esri.com/message/909582-re-xy-table-to-point-doesnt-work?commentID=909582&et=watches.email.thread#comment-909582>

0 Kudos
DrewFlater
Esri Contributor

Hi Richard Marountas, I understand the confidentiality of your data. We do have automated tests for XY Table To Point using both XLXS and XLS data, and those test cases are passing in 2.5 so we're obviously missing some different column format or data contents.

If you copy the header row PLUS the first data row into a new XLSX then use that as input, does the tool still fail? If so, can you replace the values with non-personally identifiable data and send that copy to us?

If this error is widespread we want to understand and fix the problem in a patch so users can take advantage of the new 2.5 version of the tool.

marjorie_jerez
New Contributor III

Kory Kramer‌ Are you still looking for tables that make the XY Table to Point to fail? I'm running ArcGIS Pro 2.5 and currently running into the same error but different message and it deletes the table after the tool fails and replaces it with an xml file.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "c:\program files\arcgis\pro\Resources\ArcToolbox\Scripts\XYTableToPoint.py", line 183, in <module>
xy_table_to_points(in_table, output_fc, x_field, y_field, z_field, coordinate_system)
File "c:\program files\arcgis\pro\Resources\ArcToolbox\Scripts\XYTableToPoint.py", line 121, in xy_table_to_points
arcpy.Merge_management([points_empty, table_empty], output_fc)
File "c:\program files\arcgis\pro\Resources\arcpy\arcpy\management.py", line 5619, in Merge
raise e
File "c:\program files\arcgis\pro\Resources\arcpy\arcpy\management.py", line 5616, in Merge
retval = convertArcObjectToPythonObject(gp.Merge_management(*gp_fixargs((inputs, output, field_mappings, add_source), True)))
File "c:\program files\arcgis\pro\Resources\arcpy\arcpy\geoprocessing\_base.py", line 511, in <lambda>
return lambda *args: val(*gp_fixargs(args, True))
arcgisscripting.ExecuteError: ERROR 999999: Something unexpected caused the tool to fail. Contact Esri Technical Support (http://esriurl.com/support) to Report a Bug, and refer to the error help for potential solutions or workarounds.
Failed to execute (Merge).
Failed to execute (XYTableToPoint).

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi Marjorie Jerez‌!  Yes, please send the table that is failing to kkramer@esri.com.

I'll get it to the team to investigate.

Thanks again!