Why when I choose to display Relative Scale text does it keep saying 1 inch equals 0 miles in Arcgis Pro?

06-13-2019 09:52 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am working in Arcgis Pro. I am trying to add scale text to my layout.  I simply want to set it so 1 inch = 2000 feet. But even if the scale in the map frame is set to this scale,  the relative scale text just says 1 inch is equal to 0 miles.

My projection is set so that the map units are in US Ft. 

So really I have two questions

1) How do I get the relative text set to feet and not miles?

2) How do I get the relative text to automatically update when the map frame scale changes?

Thank you!

3 Replies
LouisHill1
Occasional Contributor II

Anyone have any luck solving this?  I'm using ArcGIS Pro 2.4.3 and it does the same thing.  I want inches = feet; not inches = miles.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

When you choose Dynamic Text in the layout, you're choosing Relative Scale, correct?

As you describe, when I do that, it gives me 1 inch equals x miles

You want inches = feet.

Click on the 'Help with dynamic text' link which will take you here: Modify dynamic text—Layouts | ArcGIS Desktop 

and Ctrl+F "scale"

Look for the description about working with Relative Scale:

I followed that guidance, clicked the Scale button in the dynamic text window and changed the mapUnits to "feet".

Then change the text to whatever you want.  For example, if you want '=' instead of 'equals' just change it.

Here's what my example looks like:

Hope this helps.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

This totally helps, but seems like a mistake on ESRI's part. Plenty of room in this pane for a drop down menu to choose.

0 Kudos