Why isn't Georeferencing working in ArcGIS Pro?

Jump to solution
08-27-2018 11:27 AM
MonicaBradford
New Contributor II

I'm trying to georeference an image in ArcGIS Pro and cannot get it to cooperate. When I add a point it often doesn't show up until I save the georeference, close the entire project, and open it back up again. When I try to add another point it either distorts the image or shifts the entire image to the second point while not maintaining the first point. Ultimately I had to revert back to ArcMap to georeference.

Perhaps it is user error or maybe a bug? Any assistance would be appreciated!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Yup.... in case you forget

Georeferencing a raster to a referenced layer—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

step 8

Click Fit To Display Fit to Display.

The raster layer you are georeferencing is placed with the current map display.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Overview of georeferencing—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

Is the procedure in that link the one you are following?

MonicaBradford
New Contributor II

Yes, that is the procedure I'm following.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I would have to go back and check,, but I do remember that students had issues if  they had mixed coordinate systems in the map... or they used an online basemap, or they added the image that they wanted to register before the reference data... it was quirky but accountable in process.

So try a new map,  add the featureclass that you are trying to reference to and thenadd the unregistered image. 

Compare this to the exact same process in ArcMap (new dataframe of course, instead of map).  

And report if there is anything subtly different in how you go about it.

MonicaBradford
New Contributor II

My process between ArcMap and Pro was the same but one of my coworkers was getting it to work and we discovered it was because he would Fit to Display before adding control points while I would zoom to the image. This has fixed my issue. Thanks for the assistance.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Yup.... in case you forget

Georeferencing a raster to a referenced layer—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

step 8

Click Fit To Display Fit to Display.

The raster layer you are georeferencing is placed with the current map display.

0 Kudos
IanHuerta
New Contributor II

What do I do if every time I save my georeference it places it back to 0 lat 0 long on the map.

Or if the point icon becomes a capital B?

0 Kudos
alex_friant
Occasional Contributor II
0 Kudos
MatthewMuehlhauser
New Contributor III

For anyone else that may have this problem, I think I figured out the problem. Initially, I found that I could only make control points on vector data, so I had a point layer that I would use to then set my control points by snapping to it. 

Then, one time I added a raster and I was able to make control points wherever I wanted. So I think, the problem is occurring because the new Georeferencing tool needs a layer or something to be able to create a control point on, whether that's a vector or a raster. So, the best thing you can do is just pull in a basemap or something that you will "use for referencing" but then just set your control points similarly to how it would work in ArcMap. 

0 Kudos
MatthewMuehlhauser
New Contributor III

After further testing, I think I just got lucky. I don't thin adding a raster actually makes it work. You just need to restart ArcGIS Pro. However; I've found while doing this that I'll often either be able to place control points or use snapping, not both.

For the snapping, this is where you are unable to snap to a feature when creating a new feature. If you are editing the vertices on an existing feature, you'll still be able to use snapping.

0 Kudos