Why is finish part grayed out while editing in ArcGIS Pro?

08-22-2019 08:41 AM
Alena
by
New Contributor III

I'm trying to split a polygon in 2 different places. The "finish part" is grayed out for some reason. How can I use it? 

Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Alena,

Currently in ArcGIS Pro, the "cutting line" of the Split tool doesn't create multipart lines. Are you not able to achieve a certain result because of this? Can you please provide me with an example of what you are needing to accomplish with the Split tool?

I'm thinking we will need to add this ability, but I would like your feedback just the same

Please let me know,

Scott

0 Kudos
Alena
by
New Contributor III

Hi Scott,

I edit soil polygons and we need to have the ability to cut polygons with more than one cut, because of island polygons. The example below would require 3 poly line cuts, marked in red.

Cutting a Polygon

ArcMap Process

Select polygon > Cut Polygons Tool > Start drawing line > use finish part to add multiple line cuts > Finish Sketch

I thought it would work in Pro with using the Split tool. But the 'Finish Part' was grayed out, when I wanted to end 1 line cut so I could start another. And if 'Finish' is clicked on after attempting a single line split then it gives the error "Split failed. New geometry must intersect polylines and intersect polygons in two or more places."   

I am using version 2.3.1. 

Thanks.

Alena

Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks Alena! I appreciate you taking the time to document that for me. Hopefully it will be available in a release or two. Until multipart cutting lines work in Pro, you can use the By Feature tab from within the Split tool. You will have to create a separate line feature class that you can use for creating cutting lines for cases like this.

Here is a video of what I mean:

Relevant documentation:

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/editing/split-a-feature.htm#GUID-31BE85CE-DB6B-4677-800B-9E53...

Does that help?

-Scott

Alena
by
New Contributor III

Thanks! That process will get us by for now. The 'Finish Part' works with the lines. That eliminates the need to select both lines for the split. 

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Glad to hear it! Good idea with the multipart lines - even more efficient

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Agree with OP, this is a must-have in Pro when slicing and dicing polygons multiple times. The make one line cut, repeat, is incredibly inefficient and results in relying on ArcMap to perform this critical task. Looking forward to being able to migrate to Pro someday.....

DerekNewland
New Contributor III

Agreed, this is a must have feature. I'm trying to get used to Pro but stuff like this increases turn around time.

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor
JeffWard
Occasional Contributor III

Could you select the polygon and construct a single line that covers your multipart line and traverses through non selected polygons (Through the Ra soil type polygons in your example)?

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
0 Kudos