Why is ArcGIS Pro so slow to do anything?

02-13-2015 02:04 PM
BrigThomas
New Contributor III

I have met and exceeded the recommended spec to run pro, but it is so very slow to do just about everything.  Any Ideas?

Tags (1)
62 Replies
JoshuaKoh
New Contributor

Same issue here. Using ArcGIS Pro 2.0. Tried to open a geotiff fil (870 mb) but just got stuk. I'm running on a server (dual 12 cores Xeon, 128 GB ECC DDR4 RAM and Nvidia Quadro 4000). The same file opens in seconds in QGIS and ARCMAP. I have tried OpenGL and DirectX options, cleared cache, set options to low/fast but nothing seems to be working. ESRI should really work this out. ARCGIS PRO is bricked and useless at the moment.

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Can you guys take a look at the troubleshooting procedures listed here?  In particular if you could provide a screenshot with the framerate showing (shift-e with the view focused to see the framerates) that'd be a great first step before calling Support directly.  If it says WARP you're using the CPU to emulate GPU, probably due to needing a driver update or reinstall for your graphics hardware.

https://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2016/07/26/pro_performance_troubleshooting/

0 Kudos
JoshuaKoh
New Contributor

I have just updated the Nvidia graphics driver. I noticed there's improvement but still slow. I did two things to further speed up my processing:

1. Build pyramid for raster data. This made opening huge raster files instant.

2. For large vector data, I applied query to display subset of data. This also speed up rendering.

It's ok now. I can live with Pro but still feel a little let down since I'm trying to make transition from QGIS to ArcGIS.

0 Kudos
SarahZaleski1
Occasional Contributor

Hello Jeremy,

Attached is a frame rate screen capture.  I have created this map with this dataset  repeatedly in the past year.

One day I opened Pro and it just would not load anymore.

This is a large dataset.

Thanks

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Sarah,

What happens when it "will not load"?  Do you get an error?  Does the application crash?  While you're not getting the best framerates I don't see anything alarming in the polygon count or FPS shown above.

J

0 Kudos
SarahZaleski1
Occasional Contributor

The map will not load the data. It draws and draws, but eventually after a long time it freezes.

Also, when it takes this long to draw, I am concerned not all features have drawn even if it looks complete.

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

OK usually divide and conquer is the first step - turn off ALL the layers except basemap and turn them on one by one until you find the one that takes a long time to draw.  Then create a layer package of that layer and open it in a fresh map.  Still slow>?

0 Kudos
SarahZaleski1
Occasional Contributor

The map package works.
Thanks

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

So, repackaging the map and opening the package it all works?  

0 Kudos
SarahZaleski1
Occasional Contributor

Hello, The map package worked that one time. I still cannot get the program to run most of the time.

it just hangs and the graphics get fragmented.

I have to close it and re-open it.

0 Kudos