Select to view content in your preferred language

Why is ArcGIS Pro so slow to do anything?

02-13-2015 02:04 PM
BrigThomas
New Contributor III

I have met and exceeded the recommended spec to run pro, but it is so very slow to do just about everything.  Any Ideas?

Tags (1)
62 Replies
JasonBritton1
Occasional Contributor

I've had some performance issues with clipping and also doing large select by location functions. The latter got so bad I had to go back to ArcGIS Desktop to complete the work. It took about 3 seconds to do it in Desktop.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Jason, what type of database are you working with (file gdb, enterprise (if so, what RDBMS, versions))?  Where is the data stored - local drive, network share, etc.?  I realize that these don't necessarily isolate the issue if it takes a long time in Pro and seconds in ArcMap.  That makes it seem the issue is with Pro...

Can you give us some steps to reproduce?  What does the Select by Location look like?  How many features in the Input Feature Layer?  What Relationship? How many Selecting Features? Search distance, etc.?  If you could list out steps and provide zipped data, that would be great.  I understand that you may not be able to provide data here, but this is a good candidate for a technical support case which will be a more productive way to troubleshoot what is happening and if needed, get the issue directly to the development team.

Thank you!

JasonBritton1
Occasional Contributor

It was a point feature layer in a gdb. It was a simple select by location where the points were completely within a polygon. No search distance anything like that. Maybe 800-1000 features in each polygon. I'll be happy to send some data if you want to send me an email.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Thanks, Jason.  I just messaged you an email address.

0 Kudos
SarahZaleski1
Occasional Contributor

I have found that ArcPro is slow and freezes when I create a layout.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi Sarah,

When is ArcGIS Pro slow; i.e. what are you doing in Pro that is slow and what is the performance comparison between Pro and ArcMap?

Have you run Can You Run It? from the ArcGIS Pro system requirements page? ArcGIS Pro 2.0 system requirements—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

If it is freezing up when creating a layout, I would recommend logging a case with technical support.  There will be some standard questions they'll want to go through to help troubleshoot what is happening.  There are also a couple of blogs (Part 1 and Part 2) called  WWTSD (What Would Tech Support Do?) Part I | Support Services Blog Reading through these will give you an idea of the troubleshooting process.  Working through some of this on your own may help you figure out what is happening, or at least get things pretty well narrowed down before opening a case.  

I hope this helps.  Please do reach out so that we can help get Pro running smoothly for you!

SarahZaleski1
Occasional Contributor

Hello Kory,

I am running 3 (2.5) D models of a  large parcel dataset, So I have not modeled this in ArcMap. I can test in arcScene.

I have not run the run it tool I will see that, but I'm not sure what that will do, I ran ArcPro successfully for months.

I will look at the blogs,  Thanks!

0 Kudos
RyanPaquette1
New Contributor III

Map View + Attribute Table & Map refreshes constantly whilst editing. Seems like every mouse click triggers a map & attribute table refresh (3000ish polygon records)... very painful experience. The same layer in ArcGIS for Desktop behaves much better... very poor experience with Pro (2.0.1) so far

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Ryan, I'll message you offline to see if we can connect and maybe get a copy of your project and data to take a look at the issue.  

0 Kudos
deleted-user-BjjKyM86z_9V
New Contributor

I had problem with Arcgis pro .First I got a blue screen during the work and shut my pc down . I solved this problem by update the BIOS. But my ArcGIS pro was still very slow and crushed again and again . This problem is  solved too , by replacing the old graphic card with a new one

0 Kudos