Why is ArcGIS Pro so slow to do anything?

02-13-2015 02:04 PM
BrigThomas
New Contributor III

I have met and exceeded the recommended spec to run pro, but it is so very slow to do just about everything.  Any Ideas?

Tags (1)
62 Replies
DevlynRobson
New Contributor II

Hi Brig

If you're looking for where to set the proportional symbols it's a bit hidden away.

Select a point feature layer > Symbology > Options > Review connected attributes.

0 Kudos
BrigThomas
New Contributor III

Once data is loaded from a local source, it becomes unbearable to zoom, pan, and even identify.  I can't even begin to try any processioning, because the application freezes.  The ribbon does grey out, and the data being displayed is very large in size and blurry.

0 Kudos
TomGoeke
New Contributor III

I agree, Pro is incredibly slow on routine functions.  Good example, I have a class with ~2,000 fields, in 10.3 I can set layer visibility in in 15 seconds.  In Pro it takes nearly 15 minutes, 5 minutes to load all the fields into the grid and 10 minutes to cycle through each field after clicking save.

Secondly, there is no way to save the visibility setting so this painful process needs to be repeated over and over.

To be fair, some of the more intensive tasks, such as spatial join, are faster in Pro.

AnnieJames
Esri Contributor

Hi Tom,

Tested with a table that has close to 2000 fields and Field Views loaded all the fields in the view in a minute. Would you please share the File GDB that contains the table you are having an issue with? Send it to our Support team through an incident.

In Fields View, you can save any edits made to the layer properties using the 'Save' button in the view ribbon.  Is the button not enabled?

Thanks,

Annie

0 Kudos
TomGoeke
New Contributor III

GDB is too large to send, however you already have the data. The class I was working with is the ESRI 2014 demographic data for block group centroids. I inserted the class into a new project, opened the field list, unchecked visibility on everything except the ID field.

I realize I can save my edits for this specific class. What I was referring to by not being able to save the field settings was as in creating a .fvl file.

Also paging through hundreds or thousands of variables is very tedious in the table view. What is needed in Pro is the equivalent of the field visibilities (BA). With this tool it is quick to filter for desired fields, add or remove from visibility group, and if desired save these settings to apply to another class or the same class in another mxd (project). It is distressing to see such good functionality being degraded to the table view method of field control.

Tom Goeke

Staff Technical Analyst

Corp. Prop. - GIS

Ext. 77415

P Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.

TonyHowze
Occasional Contributor

I just wanted to add a little to this discussion because this thread kept popping up on my search for sanity.  A little history, started Pro with 1.0 and am now up to 1.4.  My typical pattern would be:  I would say to myself "I should test out Pro again to see if it is working ok", so I will start a new project.   The software would run fine, so I would add more and more to the project thus getting deeper in to debt with the software.   After a couple of days it would start hanging up, start random crashes, and eventually become unusable.  I would then issue a support request and run through the default procedures:  Upgrade the Graphics Card, remove Space Patterns tool box, etc etc, and eventually Repair the software.  After that it would seem to work enough to get my project complete and out the door.  I then wouldn't touch Pro for weeks/months because of my trust issues with it.  Then a new release would come out and I would treat Pro like an ex-girlfriend and say to myself "Ohh she is looking good.  Maybe this time will be different, she's proably changed..." only too realize she is still temperamental and unhinged.    

All this leads to today:  I think two modifications I have made have helped.  I have an NVIDIA graphics card, and I had to turn on the Antialiasing - Transparency option to "Multismaple" within the NVIDA Control Panel.  The next change and this I feel might be the important one.  As I was changing my display settings back to OpenGL (I've switched many times to try to resolve my issues btw), I noticed that the display cache was at 36 Gigs!!!!!!   HOLY MOLEY.   With that storage it was pushing my storage threshold on my hard drive to over 90% capacity which I think is what was making my machine go a little bonkers.  When going through the ESRI procedures we would eventually repair the software, and that would clean the cache thus allowing me to operate the software to get my projects out the door. This all feeds into my narrative of I would start out in pro fine but eventually crapola.  What I can ascertain is as I would build the project up, I was eating more and more of my storage with the cache getting so large until I would hit some threshold of available space and boom it would all stop working.  I'm going to continue testing, and am hopeful I have found the culprit. Hope this helps someone.  

LynnCarlson__GISP
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for this note.  I have experienced exactly the same thing and searched for sanity.  I've gone through all the recommendations to speed things up and no matter what I do, Pro is still significantly slower than Desktop even when working with data that is local.  And it crashes.   I so wish that your suggestions to clear the display cache (which only had a couple hundred MB), and setting the multi sample for antialiasing suggestions had worked, but alas, on my machine there appears to be no difference.  GP tools take anywhere from 30 seconds to a couple minutes longer to complete in Pro than Desktop.  I just wanted to thank you though because I take solace in finding others out there who are experiencing similar frustrations.  I want Pro to work, and I want / need to incorporate it into my teaching and research, but ..... I too have the "trust issues".  

TonyHowze
Occasional Contributor

Just as a follow up, it's been about a month since I've kept tabs on my cache, other than random crashes (typical in ESRI software) the performance is substantially better.  All that being said, there are many features unavailable in Pro that make it more difficult than Arcmap to use for quick analysis.  For the life of me, I can't figure out why they didn't develop a field statistic option with a right mouse click as found in ArcMap.  If you want to total your area field, for instance, you have to run the Summary Statistics geoprocessing.  I didn't realize how much I depended on that small simple tool until it became unavailable.  

As a side note you can run python to calc your area  

x = [row[0] for row in arcpy.da.SearchCursor("layer", ["Shape@Area"])]

sum(x) 

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Tony,

Note that https://community.esri.com/ideas/11923‌ is in the product plan for Pro.  We'll hopefully see that this year.

0 Kudos
SarahZaleski1
Occasional Contributor

I have been experiencing slow drawing speed in ArcGIS pro 2. I have noticed this most when I have a layout, versus a scene.  I had been originally working in 1.4, but just upgraded to 2.0, I cleared the cache, and switched to webGL.  I have been working with this file, which is large, for a few years, and this slow behavior just started recently.  I cannot figure out what changed.

Any ideas why it is slow?

0 Kudos