Select to view content in your preferred language

Why is ArcGIS PRO so slow to cancel a simple geoprocessing tool ?

07-19-2019 01:58 PM
Labels (2)
JoabelBarbieri
Occasional Contributor II

Anything you try to cancel in ArcGIS PRO just gets hanging and spinning and it won't finish. It seems PRO tries to finish the process before cancelling which is a HUGE waste of time and resources. Having to kill the exe, losing all your work is a constant. ESRI must address this issue

Example where I canceled and it's spinning for MORE than 15 MINUTES !!!

36 Replies
Wayne_Rennick
New Contributor III

@JoabelBarbieri Just wondering if you're still waiting for the process to cancel? I'm currently at 30-minutes to cancel a simple Clip Raster Geoprocess.
I just figured you've been here for about 5-years waiting for a reply from ESRI.... Maybe you have suggestions on good ways to pass the time.

JoabelBarbieri
Occasional Contributor II

Not only it is still the same in 3.3, but now cancel adding data from Agol or Living Atlas (which takes forever by itself) is behaving the same

JoabelBarbieri_0-1716579004624.png

10+ minutes and still didn't cancel....

0 Kudos
SarahSibbett
New Contributor III

Hi everyone,

I'm currently at the user conference in San Diego and brought this topic up in a meeting with a few developers. What I learned is that geoprocessing tools are designed in a way that breaks the tool down into segments of work. Apparently, many geoprocessing tools are in fact configured in a way that they will cancel out if the user requests; however, before the tool cancels out, it has to complete the current segment it is on. If that segment of work takes a long time to complete, the tool takes a long time to cancel. 

I got the name of a contact on the geoprocessing team, and I am going to try to track that person down today in order to get more information about this. Apparently, some tools may not be designed very well in how the segments of work are organized, so this issue may be tool specific. I will try to get a bit more info, or ask the developer himself to post a better and more detailed response than I have if has a chance to. 

MeganBleess1
New Contributor

Go get 'em Sarah!  I wish I could be at the UC!

It seems that many tools have this issue and everything in Pro is called geoprocessing!

SarahSibbett
New Contributor III

Me again. 

I've learned that the reason the tool needs to complete the segment of work it is on before it cancels is because there is a risk to your data if it just stops in the middle of what it is doing - so essentially, at the end of each segment of work is a safe spot to cancel, without posing any risk to your data. 

The issue is that each tool implements its own cancel logic and sometimes you won't have any cancel logic because the tool wasn't written well. The geoprocessing development team is trying to create a holistic cancel approach to resolve this inconsistency amongst geoprocessing tools, but it needs to be implemented in such a way that there is no risk to customer data. One method was tested, but it didn't work and had too many bugs. A new method is in the design phase. 

I hope this information is helpful and provides a bit more context. 

Wayne_Rennick
New Contributor III

I appreciate you trying to get some answers from the developers. I'd love it if the developer/team would respond here. 

It blows my mind how long it takes to import symbology from one layer to another in ArcGIS Pro. I have a beefy computer and it should take a second, not 30+ seconds. In my experience Pro does some geoprocessing faster than ArcMap (raster and vector analysis). I assume that's because it's able to use more memory and multithread. But most (all?) the basic cartography tools are glacial. 

0 Kudos
MichaelLedwith
New Contributor III
Well, it’s small consolation to get a confirmation of what everyone stated at least three years ago.

We know that it hangs because the software is trying to complete the process. What we want to have however is a tool that can be stopped immediately without corrupting the data.
0 Kudos