Why is ArcGIS Pro Query Definition converting strings with commas?

Jump to solution
08-15-2019 04:20 PM
MJChurchill
New Contributor III

Hi all,

I have a field containing values that are comma separated lists [e.g. '1, 2, 3', '6', '2, 5, 9']. Note that this is three strings marked by single quotes.

I try to use values from this field in a definition query like so:

But, as soon as I close the dialog, the values get converted to a list of the individual values as strings - instead of three values, there are now 7 values ['1', '2', '3', etc.]:

ArcGIS Pro incorrectly converts the values

Only the value without a comma, '6',  is now correct.

I realize I can work around this by adding a field and converting the commas to some other character but I feel like this should not be necessary. Why is ArcGIS Pro altering the strings?

[I am using ArcGIS Pro 2.4.0 on a Windows 10 machine]

Regards,

MJ

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarisaClaggett
Occasional Contributor II

Hi MJ,

This appears to be related to the following logged defect.

BUG-000111347 : Layer definition query with “Add Clause” and “Include(s) the value(s)” on a text field with comma separated single values, is interpreted incorrectly and separates one value in the data into two separate values.

It is currently in the product plan to be fixed, unfortunately, I am unsure of the timeline.  If you create a case with Esri Technical Support, we can attach this bug to your account and you follow it's progress in My Esri.  

Have a great weekend!

- Marisa

View solution in original post

6 Replies
MarisaClaggett
Occasional Contributor II

Hi MJ,

This appears to be related to the following logged defect.

BUG-000111347 : Layer definition query with “Add Clause” and “Include(s) the value(s)” on a text field with comma separated single values, is interpreted incorrectly and separates one value in the data into two separate values.

It is currently in the product plan to be fixed, unfortunately, I am unsure of the timeline.  If you create a case with Esri Technical Support, we can attach this bug to your account and you follow it's progress in My Esri.  

Have a great weekend!

- Marisa

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

You can also find the bug on support.esri.com https://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/QlVHLTAwMDExMTM0Nw== and click the Subscribe button!

AndySiegel
New Contributor III

I'm currently on Pro 2.4.3 and still have this problem. Is it fixed in 2.5?

0 Kudos
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It doesn't look like it. The current status is "Not in Current Product Plan"

MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

Ken Buja schreef:

It doesn't look like it. The current status is "Not in Current Product Plan"

I am flabbergasted. This is totally incomprehensible. This is core functionality that should not fail and that needs fixing a.s.a.p. if there is a bug affecting it.

Kory Kramer‌, could you help raise the priority of this issue?

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

BUG-000119957: In ArcGIS Pro, when using the 'Includes the value(s).. 

This seems to be the Bug that you need to follow\subscribe to. The other one (BUG-000111347) has been marked as a Duplicate

0 Kudos