Why does ArcGIS Pro have to be so slow???

08-01-2017 11:31 AM
ericmeyers1
New Contributor III

Why is ArcGIS Pro so slow? To select assets, field calculate, display layers, change symbology... the easiest of tasks that are commonly utilized within ArcMap are a drag on the software.

When will ArcGIS Pro become faster than ArcMap? That will be the day it could replace it as the goto product for GIS professionals.

266 Replies
SeanHlousek
Occasional Contributor III

Kory,

Can you expand on how 2.5 will improve project performance where we have many maps and layouts?

I am experiencing significant slow downs with my projects (which have grown over the past year). I have been working around the problem by using one project as a “working” project where I do all my editing and then housing all of my layouts that I export out as PDF’s or .jpgs in another separate (large) project. This way I can at least edit things efficiently although my “export” projects can take 3-5 minutes to load versus about 20-30 seconds for my editing projects (which contain one map with all the layers I need to edit).

I’ve also noticed that closing all layouts and maps in my “export” project is critical. If I leave anything open when I save and close the project can take 10+ minutes to load.

Its good to hear that ESRI is aware of the project size issue and is working on it.

Sean Hlousek

GIS Manager

1001 17th Street Suite 1250

Denver CO 80203

39°44’56.52”

104°59’36.43”

303-226-9516 (O)

303-565-0224 (M)

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hey Sean!  The improvements specifically cited here are in relation to geoprocessing performance in a project with many maps and layouts.  Bob's screenshot shows exactly the kind of thing that can occur when there are a number of objects to update after geoprocessing has completed.  So, you might see that the tool reports it completed in 27 seconds, which it did, but then it could take a long time for everything else in the project to sync up.  I can't speak specifically to whether the export situation would be alleviated with the Pro 2.5 improvements, but if it doesn't, you can let us know.

Cheers

0 Kudos
BobSas
by
New Contributor II

Specifically, as best I can detect, the slowness occurred because of an active layout consisting of a mapseries of 60 sheets with 3 dynamic maps and 15 fields of dynamic text per sheet. The issue was not actually because of undo edits in geoprocessing but in updating those edits into too many dynamic layout elements. 

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Thanks for the info, Bob.  We'll take a look.

0 Kudos
MichaelHewitt
Occasional Contributor

ArcGIS Pro was running fast before Christmas 2019, but now in the New Year 2020, it's been really slow.  I am using version 2.4.3 and it says it's the current one.  I am opening up existing map projects which often takes up to 10 minutes to load (when before it was a minute or less).   The one APRX in particular has 2 tabs in different projections for a mosaic project (one to georeference and one to create the mosaic).  I don't have a ton of SID images loaded in, maybe a dozen at any time.  I group them to stay organized.  In addition, there are a few shapefiles with an aerial or topo from ESRI in the background.  The files are on a network drive but always have been.  

Panning around and zoom in general is slow AF.  

Other symptoms...  editing a shapefile will freeze and not come back.  I have to crash the program with Task Manager.  Obviously I lose work.  

A colleague (in the same building, different network) recently did a fresh install (after Christmas) and is experiencing similar issues.  Both of our computers are above minimum specs for ArcGIS.  

Any insight/help would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks,

Mike

JohnBrockwell

Check your anti-virus event logs. Are components of Pro being blocked? McAfee has been a real nuisance for ArcGIS Pro at my organization.

SeanHlousek

John,

I have been experiencing similar issues but mine have been going on since before the New Year.

I called ESRI Tech Support and they claim my CPU speed is a slightly below spec so I am at a stand-still with regards to technical support.

I am working on upping my CPU, but it should be noted that Tech Support IS able to replicate the issues I am experiencing. However instead of 10-15 minutes to open a project they are reporting that their load times are about 7 minutes.

I find 7 minutes to open a project unacceptable.

I went a step further and bought a personal-use license at home where I have a computer well above specs. I packaged the project and opened it at home and find that load times are about 6 minutes and 30 seconds.

I still find this unacceptable time to open a project especially since one of the marketing points ESRI made about Pro is that Projects can get as large as necessary.

My experience with Pro is that large projects cause performance issues

Here is what I have observed:

Projects with few elements in them, (Elements, in this case being Maps, Layouts, Database connections and Toolboxes), seem to open quickly and navigation within the project including opening maps and Layouts perform to my satisfaction. (Typically under 1 minute to open the project and anywhere from 30 seconds to 3 minutes to open a map or a layout depending on the complexity. I do have some very graphics-intensive layouts and maps so 3 minutes is acceptable for these complex layouts and maps).

Projects with many elements in them, (About 10-12+ elements), open slowly and the performance is unsatisfactory. My biggest projects with about 80-90 elements in them take 10-15 minutes to open. That time is longer when any map or layout is left open in the project.

Projects with fewer elements open faster, projects with more elements open more slowly. Saving and closing times are also longer for bigger projects.

Second: In any project, large/complex or small/simple, I experience the Windows Spinning Wheel. This happens immediately after opening the project when I attempt to click on a map or a layout. The spinning wheel lasts 2-3 minutes during which time, no elements can be selected or interfaced with in any way. (It is the Windows 10 version of “grayed-out” selections). After the elements “un-gray” and the spinning wheel disappears, performance is as you would expect. I have the same behavior on my machine at home. Tech Support did not address this specific issue because my CPU speed is slightly below spec. (But again, I can replicate this at home with a machine that is above spec).

My interpretation is that there is something going on with the software and that these issues are rooted there. I admit that hardware plays a role, and seems to make the performance worse, but it is not the root cause of these issues.

In the mean-time I need to complete my work in a timely manner so I have made the decision to completely alter the way I use ArcGIS Pro. I now treat most projects like ArcMap .mxd’s. That is I typically have 10 or less elements in each project. I manage projects similar to how I used to manage .mxd’s because in my experience large project size slows down my work too much. This is unfortunate because I enjoy the project interface and being able to organize and manage my data within “project containers” but when I can’t get the system to work in an acceptable manner, it became necessary to alter how I use the software.

Incidentally this has lead to a pleasant realization: Since ESRI can’t figure out how to get modified and created date attributes to populate in the catalog view or catalog pane with respect to Maps and layouts, treating projects more like .mxd’s makes data management easier since windows DOES show modified dates for the directories containing projects. Since my projects are now very simple, standard and clear naming of projects along with windows modified dates has made data management quite a bit easier.

If these issues are addressed in the future I’d still like to use PRO as ESRI had intended but in the mean-time this solution is working for my work-flows.

-Sean

ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

"... open a project they are reporting that their load times are about 7 minutes"

What's the bug # they assigned to that?

"claim my CPU speed is a slightly below spec ", what is your CPU speed/type/# of cores

0 Kudos
SeanHlousek

Tom,

They haven’t assigned a bug number to this yet but the case# is #02465137

It seems I need to call Tech support again because upon re-running the “CanYouRunIt” application, it says my machine passes. (Oh how much I “enjoy” the Tech Support experience….. /s)

Here is a screenshot of my specs.

MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

Not to counter your valid arguments, but the processor you use, does seem a peculiar choice for running Pro. Even though it is a relatively recent processor, launched in 2017 (Intel® Xeon® Bronze 3104 Processor (8.25M Cache, 1.70 GHz) Product Specifications ), it has a very poor single thread and also quite marginal multi-threaded performance according to Passmark statistics.

Even my much older second generation Core i7-2600 of my home desktop, which launched in 2011 but still runs happily with Windows 10, has double the single thread performance. Funny actually, but my quite recent laptop with a Core i7-7700HQ only marginally beats the nine year old desktop processor...:

Intel Xeon Bronze 3104 - Multi-core stat:5685 / Single-thread:972

Intel Core i7-2600 - Multi-core stat:8180 / Single-thread:1922

Intel Core i7-7700HQ - Multi-core stat:8761 / Single-thread:1991

Your processor, also according to the Intel website, seems designed for low-end servers doing light CPU work (but possibly high IO to disks), e.g. running some mail server job, it is definitely not a high-end workstation processor for crunching data.

0 Kudos