Why does ArcGIS Pro have to be so slow???

08-01-2017 11:31 AM
ericmeyers1
New Contributor III

Why is ArcGIS Pro so slow? To select assets, field calculate, display layers, change symbology... the easiest of tasks that are commonly utilized within ArcMap are a drag on the software.

When will ArcGIS Pro become faster than ArcMap? That will be the day it could replace it as the goto product for GIS professionals.

265 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Thomas:

Besides Wireshark, do you have the ability to monitor database activity from Pro with TOAD software, as I don't believe Wirehshark provides details about database connections.  I say this because in 2 different Oracle databases (one SDE, one spatially enabled with SDE ST_Geometry libraries), I am seeing many more database connections in TOAD from Pro than from ArcMap.  For 1 user connection in ArcMap, there were 3 or 4 user connections from Pro.  Have you seen phenomenon such as this in your extensive testing of Pro.

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

No, the only other thing I've used for SQL benchmarking is GitHub - clinthuffman/PAL: Performance Analysis of Logs (PAL) tool , but not for this issue. TOAD looks like it has some cost to it, which would take about 97 years for me to get through the approval pipes and levers. 

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Tom, I realize that you are working on this as a case with technical support.  I think you've referenced the Can you run it results earlier in this thread.  But can you share the specifics about the video card from the machine where you captured those .gifs?

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

And yes, the video driver is the most recent.

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Thanks.

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Same behavior whether I assign Pro to a profile or not. 

0 Kudos
BrianE
by
Occasional Contributor II

How can this topic be marked "ASSUMED ANSWERED"? This thread has been going on since August 2017, multiple people are experiencing slow down issues. 

Can someone from Esri PLEASE tell everyone what they are doing to solve this crucial issue? 

ericmeyers1
New Contributor III

I'm the owner of the thread and I don't even considered it answered... seems like ESRI just set it to that for me. I was looking for a way to mark it back to OPEN but couldn't find anything.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Do you want it marked as a Discussion?   (that can be done)

It is getting stale-dated and given the version changes since the initial post.  Let me know.

0 Kudos
BrianE
by
Occasional Contributor II

Well, Esri staff (and others) have been replying recently so I am hoping it is still on their radar. It should be marked in whatever way makes them address the issue asap.

Has anyone reported this as a bug?

0 Kudos