Why does a Join in ArcMap fail with the same two files in ArcGIS Pro

07-12-2016 12:08 PM
RobertRose
New Contributor III

I am trying to join an excel table to a Feature Class.  The join works fine in ArcMap but when I try the same join with the same two files in ArcGIS Pro, the join does not seem to work.  Basically it looks like all the joined fields are Null, indicating that no matches between the two files were found. 

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
JessieZarazaga1
New Contributor II

Yes. My students and I have the same issue. The most important thing is for ESRI to know so that they can fix this in a new version.

There are a couple of work-a rounds.

1. use the excel to table conversion tool. This works but its an extra step.

2. Save the excel table as csv. That seems to join without problems. But again, its an extra step.

3. I was told that if excel columns are correctly defined as appropriate field types it should work, but I haven't had success even with this.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I, like many others, don't recommend using excel files directly.  There is too much that can go wrong and the whole idea that a column/field can contain anything just goes against what the arc* line of products enforces.  Allow the conversion tools to deal what you may not be able to see, an extra step perhaps, but it will save time and frustration in the long run. 

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Jessie - I looked a little deeper into the bug report and found the following text from 3/4/17:

"Status of the bug is ‘Assigned’ that means the bug has been assigned to a Development lead, who is responsible for its continued evaluation and resolution. For updates on this issue, please see the My Esri Support portal website: https://my.esri.com/#/support or contact ESRI Support Services."

Also, with regard to "regional characters", this bug has been seen with Japanese and Swedish languages.  Hope this helps.

JustMapSynch
New Contributor III

The fix to the bug you mention was apparently fixed in ArcGIS Pro 2.1:

https://support.esri.com/bugs/nimbus/QlVHLTAwMDEwMTE3OQ==

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Yes it was - thx for the update!

0 Kudos