Why can't I drag and drop files from the Catalog Pane in ArcGIS Pro 2.5?

Jump to solution
02-18-2020 06:24 PM
Heidi_Kristenson
Occasional Contributor

Based on the ESRI documentation for ArcGIS Pro, I thought that I could drag and drop files from either the Catalog pane or Catalog view into a map. I just installed Pro 2.5, and I can only drag and drop from the Catalog view. I have not been able to drag a file from the Catalog pane onto my map; I have to right-click the desired file and select the "Add to Current Map" option to add files from the pane, while dragging and dropping from the view works fine. Is there something I'm missing? I encountered the same issue whether I was trying to add rasters or shapefiles.

From Catalog pane, catalog view, and browse dialog box—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation : 

The Catalog pane docks in the ArcGIS Pro application, providing access to items in your project and the active portal while you work. After browsing or searching for content, you can drag layers onto maps, datasets onto tools, tools onto models, and so on.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Heidi_Kristenson
Occasional Contributor

It turns out that you have to be in the Project or Portal tab in the Catalog pane in order to drag and drop. I had been trying to add content from my Favorites tab.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Heidi_Kristenson
Occasional Contributor

It turns out that you have to be in the Project or Portal tab in the Catalog pane in order to drag and drop. I had been trying to add content from my Favorites tab.

JeremyDavies
New Contributor III

I was wondering the same thing, so thanks for posting this!

I have to ask esri though: why can't you drag and drop from your favorites? If you can drag and drop from the other tabs, this does not seem like a stretch.

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

See this Idea that is In Product Plan: https://community.esri.com/ideas/17779 

In ArcGIS Pro 2.6, currently scheduled for release in late July, you will be able to drag/drop from favorites.

Hope this helps!