Which Coordinate Systems for a Map in ArcGIS Pro if editing Hosted Feature Layer across multiple states?

06-09-2023 12:22 PM
DominicRoberge2
Occasional Contributor III

Hello

I have a Hosted Feature Layer that I created in AGOL, I am trying to edit the data in ArcGIS Pro. If I setup the map Coordinate system to a localize system (like State Plane)  I can create a line with the expected distance(see image below). The problem is my area of interest if fairly large:  All the Midwest states) .

My question is: Which Coord System should I use that would give me the most accurate distance throughout my area of interest (Midwest from Illinois to South Dakota...)

I am guessing one of these?

DominicRoberge2_3-1686338491832.png

Also, I am trying to use template to create building layout (40'x50') and I would like to be consistent as well..

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks!

Dominic

The highlighted line is 95' (from a survey)... depending on the Coord System.. the value chance

DominicRoberge2_1-1686336941200.png

DominicRoberge2_2-1686336973300.png

Hosted Feature Layer spatial reference

DominicRoberge2_0-1686336282877.png

0 Kudos
12 Replies
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

@DominicRoberge2 

Just keep all you data in a coordinate system that works for you.  Even the data that you publish to AGOL.  You had noted you were using USA Contiguous Equidistant Conic (PCS).  Set your ArcGIS Pro maps to this coordinate systems, when you publish feature or map services, keep this coordinate system.  When you create a map in AGOL, it will be WGS 1984 Web Mercator (auxiliary sphere); however, when you add your data AGOL will apply the appropriate transformation.

0 Kudos
DominicRoberge2
Occasional Contributor III

ideally, I would like to have my data in WGS 1984 Web Mercator (auxiliary sphere) as I can create templates (for building foot print) and the dimensions would stay the same regardless if I create a feature in South Dakota or in Indiana.

0 Kudos
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

@DominicRoberge2 

As @DanPatterson  pointed out above -

A good 'google' would show that WGS 1984 Web Mercator (auxiliary sphere) should not be used for feature  creation or analysis but display only.  It is useless for distance or area calculations.

0 Kudos