Where is the Insert Legend, Scale Bar, etc in ArcGIS Pro 2.5?

Jump to solution
04-26-2020 02:42 PM
MichaelLohr
Occasional Contributor II

The help material sends you to the Insert (ribbon) Tab, then to the Map Surrounds group. The available groups on the insert tab are 

• Project
  • Layer Templates
  • Styles
  • Favorites

I tried to customize the ribbon to add the Map Surrounds group, but I don't see it available to be added. This should be super easy to do. What am I missing?

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Michael, 

It appears from your screenshot that the Map Frame on your layout is activated.  

When the Map Frame is active the ribbon will responds as if you are working with an active map view.  When in this state you can click "Layout" in the screenshot above. This should deactivate the map frame and allow you to work with the page layout and insert map surrounds.

Fro more information please refer to Work with a map on a layout—Layouts | Documentation 

Hope this helps, 

Tom

View solution in original post

8 Replies
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Make sure you have a layout selected in the Table of Contents. It's all about context in Pro!

It takes a bit of getting used to but it means widgets that do not apply to what you are doing are often hidden by the UI.

0 Kudos
MichaelLohr

You are right about taking a bit  to get used to. Maybe more than a bit.

Curtis, I do have a Layout created and it is highlighted/selected. But no "Map Surrounds" group. 

I do see it on the Insert Tab in my v2.4 Arc GIS Pro installed on a different PC. 

v2.5 does not have any patch to install, does it? Thanks for the quick response.

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I am using 2.4.3 but are you sure you have a layout selected in the table of contents? Since you have a map frame activated the current focus is on a map/map frame -- not a layout. If you click on Layout tab and close activation you should get the ribbon you want. 

TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Michael, 

It appears from your screenshot that the Map Frame on your layout is activated.  

When the Map Frame is active the ribbon will responds as if you are working with an active map view.  When in this state you can click "Layout" in the screenshot above. This should deactivate the map frame and allow you to work with the page layout and insert map surrounds.

Fro more information please refer to Work with a map on a layout—Layouts | Documentation 

Hope this helps, 

Tom

MichaelLohr

I see it now. Thank you. As Curtis picked up on, even though I had a Layout displayed and selected above the View panel, as long at the Map Frame is activated the focus is still on the Map Frame and not the Layout. The Layout does not even appear in the TOC when the Map Frame is activated. 

The piece of the puzzle I was missing was not deactivating the Map Frame before trying to add items to the Layout. I incorrectly thought that since I had the newly created layout selected and highlighted in a tab above the view panel, that the software would know I was ready to work on the Layout. Once the Map Frame was deactivated, then the Layout appears in the TOC and the Map Surrounds group appears as it should,in the Insert Tab. Your tip in the graphic of how to easily deactivate the Map Frame and go to the Layout is a good one. Right again, Curtis. It is all about Context.

Thank you, Tom CurtisBole, Curtis Price and Dan Patterson for your suggestions. All useful. . 

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, Tom - I didn't know about that Layout button trick!

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Kory Kramer I been robbed!  (Seriously, Tom's answer was better though and truly deserves the correct.)

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If in doubt, right-click in Catalog, then open.  Insert tab is automatically selected