Where did presets for realistic trees go in Pro v3.0?

Jump to solution
08-23-2022 03:11 PM
GBacon
by
Occasional Contributor

I've been looking through the documentation and still haven't found where this went:

GBacon_0-1661292686304.png

0 Kudos
19 Replies
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

yes, that's correct

0 Kudos
NamanCasas
New Contributor

Hi,

I'm dealing with the same issue i.e. trying to replicate the same workflow of assigning a realistic tree shape to a point dataset with accurate tree height and canopy width measurements. I have made it up until this point, however, when I open the size dropdown after having allowed symbol property connections I am only given one field to edit the symbol and do not have the option of adjusting feature height and width separately? I was wondering if this option has also been deprecated or if I am going about the process incorrectly?

0 Kudos
GBacon
by
Occasional Contributor

Thanks. This ended up working for me and the results look as good as they did with presets. I look forward to the streamlined process for this.

GBacon
by
Occasional Contributor

Though I like using the common name for the trees, any idea why genus finds no matches against the realistic trees style? This is a very minor issue since I have my solution. I appreciate your help with this.

0 Kudos
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi,

This is what I gathered from this topic: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/2.8/help/mapping/layer-properties/supported-tree-genus-types.htm 

Supported tree genus names are listed, sorted by common name. Data with matching genus names is drawn with the corresponding tree model. Data with an unknown or undefined genus is drawn with the Generic Tree symbol, unless the data value corresponds, at least partially, to a Common Name listed below

In the old preset you had the generic tree symbol when it was undefined but that's not the case in the new workflow. Hopefully that answers your question. 

thanks,

Andrew

0 Kudos
GBacon
by
Occasional Contributor

Andrew, that is the text that I've relied on for past versions of Pro and gives rise to my question since genus no longer seems to work. Is genus not working because it is not included in the name field shown below? Is this what my field is being matched against? If so, it makes sense that only common name in my attached shapefile would work. I checked an older version of Pro (2.9) and the properties look exactly the same for this tree, yet it can match using genus field or combined genus/species field. Version 3.0 only works using the common name field. 

GBacon_1-1661952224895.png

I also noticed the Match Layer Symbology to Style doesn't open the dialog to do this, so I end up running the GP tool from the toolbox. 

GBacon_2-1661954027708.png

Would you be willing to test this using the attached shapefile?

0 Kudos
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

sure, i'll take a look.

thanks,

Andrew

0 Kudos
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi,

I reached out to another team to get clarification on this and they confirmed that the core styles use the common name and not the genus. The match layer symbology to a style will always use the symbol name so in this case it will only work with common name. If you only had data with genus you could create a new style where the symbol name of the realistic tree matches the genus and then in that case it would work to use the match layer symbology to a style but it sounds like it will still work for you to use common name moving forward. 

thanks,

Andrew

0 Kudos
GBacon
by
Occasional Contributor

Thanks again for running this down for me. I think the match layer symbology to style tool could be useful for us many other ways. 

0 Kudos
GBacon
by
Occasional Contributor

Thanks again

0 Kudos